Author Topic: Deflex/reflex question  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Deflex/reflex question
« on: December 24, 2010, 12:24:32 pm »
I assume that deflex/reflex means that the handle area is deflexed and gull wings into reflexed tips, correct?  I have an osage stave I am working on that has that as a natural profile. My real qustion is what do I need to look out for when tillering it as compared to a straight stave. Is there danger of taking off too much at the reflex portion and coming in under weight? I think I had heard that soome time back and just wanted to make sure I keep it in mind as I proceed.  Thanks in advance for any input.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Deflex/reflex question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 02:09:18 pm »
 Get your outer limb to unfold, then work the inner limbs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 11:36:38 am »
Getting your first high brace on will be a bear because of increased string tension.  Go slow and brace it asap.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 11:59:31 am »
Probably better to use a stringer to brace these bows until you get it to a managable weight. Even then it would ber best to use a stringer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 04:39:03 pm »
Thanks for the insight guys, it helps me to know what to expect. I have some side to side corrections to be made with the heat gun. So I think I may do that next and then let it stabilize and then proceed with softening up the mid and inner limbs. I have the outters bending enough to open up.   

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »
    If you wish to keep you reflex deflex don't over pressure your limbs. Reflex deflex limbs are easyest to take on set.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Aaron W

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 11:40:55 pm »
The reflex will fool you while getting it to brace height.  It will feel heavier.  Once you get it to brace height and start working it back you'll notice a little more pop for the amount of wood you have in the limbs....they will fell a little more springy than just a straight limb.  If you long string tiller it at first you should be fine.