Author Topic: Center shot?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline alex b

Center shot?
« on: December 24, 2010, 03:14:07 pm »
  Thinking I will make my next selfbow center shot. anyone every made a center shot selfbow?
would like to see some pictures.

thanks
alex

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Center shot?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 03:45:20 pm »
I've never had a need for a center shot bow. With correctly spined arrows my bow shoot just fine and where I'm looking..
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 03:53:23 pm »
No, I've never made one nor do I want to. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 05:39:57 am »
Alex,

I would never cut into a self bow handle to make a center shot bow.  However, I used to lay out bows so that the string ran down one side of the riser which basically made them center shot.  I didn't see any practical difference to how those bows shot so I stopped doing it.  The bow works better laid out down the center of the stave's axis.  Right now I have a very curvy bow that I've bent twice and just barely have the string in the handle.  That one will be center shot because of the wood (which really means because I'm tired of fighting it ;)).

George
St Paul, TX

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 09:21:04 am »
You know guys, the older I get the less weight I can pull. It's not a problem of making a new lighter bow, but having all these arrows for heavier bows. So making a lighter weight bow and cutting shelves in still allows me to use the same arrows. And we all know, making bows is so much more fun than making arrows................ ;) ;D

Best advice I can you you is to just be smart about cutting your window in. Make sure to leave enough wood in your handle to not jeopardize it's integrity. Another problem with cutting deep windows in selfbows is that more often than not the handle/fades are to short to support them.

Personally, I wouldn't cut a selfbow all the way to center. Leaving at least 3/16-1/4" from center will allow you to easily match arrows which will probably be the same weight as bow poundage. Good luck and have fun....................Art

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:37:11 am »
    I build all my bows either center shot on as close as the stave will let me. Unless someone dos'nt want it built that way. This really widens your range(spine) when it comes to self arrows. Any arrows for that matter.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING