Author Topic: sap wood of juniper  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Blacktail

sap wood of juniper
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »
i was going to make my turkey hunting bow out of yew..but i didn't want to cut any of my stave's down..SO,i jumped on a piece of juniper..i haven't worked any juniper so this is a differant journey for me...my question is..i have the stave ruffed out and one limb has a 1/2'' of sap and the other end is 1'' of sap...SO,is there a certain ratio of sap and heart wood...if i remember i think Keenan said he uses 1/3..it will be sinew backed..john

Offline Keenan

Re: sap wood of juniper
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 05:56:28 pm »
 John than is right 1/3 sap to two thirds heart is best I think .  However the limb bow that i just posted was about 2/3 sap and one third heart. That is often the case for juniper because the sap tapers down fairly quickly. I think either sap or heart worked well with sinew.  And I do believe Juniper is best as a short flat bow design. looking forward to your creation.  ;) I harvested a coupe juniper staves this morning.  ;D One Limb(6"), One sapling (4") ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:31:33 pm by Keenan »

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »
    It really dos'nt matter what the ratio is if you going to sinew it. The Indains in CA. built there juniper staves short and wide and were just basitly just a form.For sinew to be layered on. They even made there limbs with out tapper. They just built the sinew up where it was needed.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:56:38 am »
John,   You might look back through some of the previous posts on using junipers.  Different bowyers have different opinions.  I routinely use the staves "as is"  and leave the sapwood alone.  That makes for some bows that are nearly all sapwood, but I haven't noted any problems with performance.   Others have suggested they get better performance by removing all, or at least most of the sapwood.  To complicate matters, many staves have an ill-defined, or even wandering divide between sap and heart woods.  As crookedarrow and Keenan noted a short/wide limbed bow with sinew on the back is an excellent design for juniper and then you can pretty much do whatever you want.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers