Author Topic: Salmon Berry Shafts?  (Read 5010 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Salmon Berry Shafts?
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:23:06 pm »
Anyone ever use this material to make shafts from? I picked some up and I'm drying it now. I've dried some out before and it picks looking weak but dries solid. Big pith in it though. Seems to have a simmilar structure to bamboo as its a bit stringy in the fibre.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Salmon Berry Shafts?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:13:47 pm »
IMO, anything with a large pith is a bugger to straighten (without breaking it).  If its pretty straight, it should work.....after you add a foreshaft. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:44:21 pm »
Most of its "Straight as an arrow!"!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:58 pm »
David, Do you know the botanical name? Is it the shrub with white berries?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:00:15 pm »
Nah, pat they are salmon colored. Here is a link about it: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=RUSP

grantmac

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:45:43 pm »
We've got a ton of it around here. It does tend to grow very straight. I wonder what diameter would work well with it? The USDA link surprised me, I had no idea Salmon Berry was a part of the Rose family. It could make for some very light shafting if the pith isn't too dense.
     Cheers,
           Grant

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:41 pm »
Its very light and the pith is really pithy but when dried the outer layer is TOUGH! More like bamboo than wood I would say.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:13:11 pm »
Looks like it's actually a type of raspberry, then-we have similar ones around here but I've never tried the canes for arrows..
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:00:40 pm »
You might make an arrow or atlatl dart in a pinch. It looks like our blackberry or raspberry. The Cherokee made baskets and mats from the split canes. I have 2 long blackberry canes I collected along the creek that are almost 1" in diameter and 6' or longer in length. I plan to experiment to see if I can make something from it.
   One thing you could probably make with it is a good pie!  ;D       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:42:04 am »
I would say that pie sounds right nice. But, the salmon berry shafts are much tougher than the blackberry ones. The blackberry seems more like a grass fiber to me.

lookas

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:24:14 am »
i have made some nice arrows out of it, its super light and straightens nicely. it should hold up for big game hunting, definately. paired with a sinew backed bow you can get some crazy speed and distance with these shafts

Offline Deo

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 03:11:25 am »
Salmon berry does work i belive, on the show dual survival one of the guys killed a turkey with a salmon berry shaft and stone arrow head it was cool, he chased it down after shooting it and killed it. ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 05:02:43 pm »
One of the cool things about using shoots is that the spine does not seem to be as important an issue and weight seems to be the biggest determining factor. Anyone else see this with their shafts?

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 07:29:58 pm »
Yeah I've noticed that with my shoot arrows they can be shot pretty accurately with quite a few bows.

My dowel rod arrows are pretty finicky about spine.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 05:27:55 pm »
Wood! Go figure!  ;D