Author Topic: $1 fletching jig  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
$1 fletching jig
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:25:01 pm »
I saw this on here or maybe someother forum I can't remember, so I thought I'd make one for myself. The only cost was a $1 bag clip from one of the dollar stores, all the rest was scrap pieces. You can do straight, left or right with it all you do is line up the front and back of the clip accordingly.
Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: $1 fletching jig
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:29:20 pm »
                                     Can't get no Simpler...or better than that...looks like it worked just fine...and for a Dollar...how can you go wrong!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »
Like El D said ....dont get much better....and ya got an added bonus weather or not you intended it. The bag clip is straight so your laying on the fletch "offset" by about 2 degrees (not spiral) makes a very stable arrow ,especially for hunting arrows and give better speed than the full helical does.........most impressive sir.
rich

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:41:27 pm »
Thanks guys. It is so easy and yes I did have to look for a while till I found the metal clip. Most are plastic and are too wide at the base to even see what you're doing. I also like offset better than helical. The only twisting I do to feathers is for a flu-flu but I really never shoot them much anyway.
Mark
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:25:09 am by commadore »
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:59:13 pm »
nice !!! never thought of a bag clip!!!! ding ding will be looking for one of those now lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:26:29 pm »
Added benefit...I been getting my Duco Cement at the Dollar Store for...you guessed it, a buck.  So much for going to the hardware store and spending the $3.89!

Good work with the jig, I love seeing home-engineered solutions!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ian Schmidt

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:22:24 pm »
I would think that a cheap clipboard cut off at the clip would work too, as well as providing a nice flat spot to attach it to the jig.
"Call them wheels, or call them cams. I don't care. All I know is that the only wheels that should be killing deer are like the ones on my truck."

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:45:59 pm »
What The ! ?.....I like it. You could build about 50 or 60 of those for the cost of a blitzenburger.  Thanks ! !   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 03:49:53 am »
You just saved me at least 50$  thanks!!!! :-*
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25:25 am »
Here's mine,,didnt cost anything,I stole the clip out of my wifes kitchen!  sshhhhh,,,dont tell her !        Rick

U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline scattershot

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:05:25 pm »
Great idea, but how do you keep the clip in place while the glue dries?

Thanks for posting.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 08:10:03 pm »
I use super glue and it sets very quickly

Offline scattershot

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:33:48 pm »
OK, thanks.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 01:06:02 pm »
So what if you are useing Duco Cement how would you keep the clip in place? Little super glue near the ends and center? I love the I dea ill definately be building one of these thanks for the idea
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)