Author Topic: I love collecting arrow shafts  (Read 9114 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: I love collecting arrow shafts
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 12:28:31 pm »
I'm sorry but I dont know what salt ceder looks like.  The only known shoots I know I have are viburnum and bamboo...the big bundle thats tied up and a bush I have no name on.

Offline aero86

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:33 pm »
I love collecting shoot shafts too.  I have one area where the Ocean Spray ( Ironwood) is located in 20 ft firs and makes them reach for the sunlight and are really straight . I cut them about 36 in long and seal the ends with glue and bring them into the house . Over a few weeks they dry slowly through the bark .   I leave them on my work table where I must walk by them regularly and straighten them when they are still green. Daily or weekly tweeking will give a really straight shaft .  The bark dries very hard and does not have to be removed .    I push the round part of a screwdriver up and down the shaft , when the shaft is drying. This does two things, it polishes the bark and flattens out the nodes. With a piece of sandstone I lightly sand out nodes that will not compress. The bark is dark brown when it's dry and requires no finishing material  to water proof it.

Winston

this sounds interesting, do you have any pictures?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 01:22:39 pm »
Will send pics soon .

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 02:52:21 pm »
I would love to see those pictures too broken arrow

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 04:31:40 pm »
JEB, I use salt cedar for foreshafts on my kid's arrows whenever I can get it.  The heart wood is VERY tough.  The inner bark is thick so I have to harvest shoots with a larger diameter compared to the other shoots I collect.  It can also be a bit wavy.  I straighten the shoots in stages.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 07:28:29 pm »
Sorry for the delay. Learning how to install the pics . These are not the greatest but will give you some idea.