Author Topic: how many seal the handle wrap  (Read 7812 times)

Offline wodpow

how many seal the handle wrap
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:47:36 pm »
how many seal the leather grip on there bows say with tru-oil or something that dries hard so the leather stays tight to the bow and don't get wet?   I mostly just apply leather with no protection other than a little beeswax but in a 100% wet down pour it didn't keep the water from staining the leather.  I haven't used true oil on any leather other than rawhide backing.

Offline Keenan

Re: how many seal the handle wrap
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:06:30 pm »
I usually seall the whole bow the do the handle wrap.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:41:11 pm »
i seal the whole bow,all wood parts
have only used a handle wrap a couple of times,but never sealed the leather
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline wodpow

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:57:15 pm »
I have seen and heard of doing a cord wrapped handle with a heavy finish to hold everything tight . I never really thought about it till I got the leather wet and it discolored it. only about half of the bows I have made have ever got a leather wrap but it was just to have something to do.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:41:30 am »
I've never sealed a leather handle as part of the bow making process.  My self bows don't normally go out when it might rain.  I've always switched to a glass recurve when that happened.  Now that I have some Ipe and Osage boards I intend to make a laminated R/D short longbow to handle rain duty in the future.

George
St Paul, TX

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:36:28 am »
I most times finish the bow with spar varnish or Tru Oil before sewing a leather wrap.I then wax the leather.  On some bows I braid jute twine and use it for a handle wrap with a floppy arrow rest. I Apply the floppy rest then wrap the braided twine and lastly soak the twine with spar varnish to lock it in place.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 10:48:05 am »
     Never sealed leather,rap ons. After I cut out my leather put in laceing holes I like  to put the leather handle in warm water to solfen it an hour or so. Then lace it on wet. When it drys it will form(srink) to the wood. This way even if it dose get wet it still tight.Unitllit drys again.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:08:29 am »
Got me wondering the same thing about sealing leather. You said you waxed your leather handle Grunt, can I ask what wax did you use? Beeswaz? Paste wax? I've waxed a wooden selfbow bow with beeswax and had the wax discolor from rain drops hitting it...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:33:09 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 12:49:46 pm »
If  do  seal it with a leather sealer. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 01:23:20 pm »
Hey george, you ever use this sealer?

Here's a link to their web site I think.

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html

I have been dressing bows in leather lately, and while it looks good, I have not tried using any sealer at all on the leather yet. I wonder if using this wax on bare leather would give enough protection against rain and the such (providing the way I cover the bow in leather is 100% water proof of course). One of the things I like that it says: "Will not crack during continual flexing of leather." :) 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »
Yes, works well. Works for boots too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 01:51:02 pm »
I haven't found anything better than gluing the grip down with Tite-bond III waterproof glue.  And then waxing bow and leather grip (any leather) with Johnson Paste wax. Leaves a nice nonslip grip even when wet...............Art

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »
I read that sno seal will darken leather. Do you think I should not use it on white leather? The color is almost ivory, and I wanted to keep the color. Is there a wipe on leather sealer that will not darken the leather that anybody knows of? I was thinking of plain beeswax buffed on.

Edit: Just tryed the plain beeswax. Does not work in any way shape or form.

Edit#2: Artcher1, do you think johnson paste wax would darken white leather too much? I've never used it, I'd imagine anything would darken white leather but I mean to the point that it is very noticable.

Edit#3: One thing I was thinking of is white shoe polish. I primarily want to protect the leather from spotting the way leather will if come in contact with water I guess, also, not trying to take over your thread wodpow. Sorry, :). I just had the same question really...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:02:31 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline wodpow

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 03:37:03 pm »
I was just thinking because I normally don't hunt in the rain but 2009 when the ice was on the trees and thawing my bow grip was soaked and I have not glued it  one down.  I just put on wet stitched up tight and let draw down tight. The leather I use most is from my first deer tanned with battery acid because it sounded easy.bad thing about  it will soak up water like it's a sponge but it is smoked and the water makes it  blotchy really easy I thought about using the snow shield but I think it will make the leather expand and  slip beings it's not glued to the bow.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 03:45:57 pm »
I'm sure the paste wax would darken your white leather grip Toomanyknots........Art