Author Topic: how many seal the handle wrap  (Read 7811 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: how many seal the handle wrap
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »
I used to use Tandy NeetLac leather finish on my handles until they stopped distributing it. The same material is now sold as LCi Clear Lac. Apply two coats and your handle will resist water, dirt, oils and sweat for years.
Gordon

Grunt

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 07:50:30 pm »
Got me wondering the same thing about sealing leather. You said you waxed your leather handle Grunt, can I ask what wax did you use? Beeswaz? Paste wax? I've waxed a wooden selfbow bow with beeswax and had the wax discolor from rain drops hitting it...

I use Renaissance Wax. It's a micro cystalline wax polish developed for museum work on stone, leather, etc. I have used it for years as a final polish. It's expensive but it's easy to apply,protects well and dries clear.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 08:27:35 pm »
Thank you grunt!!!!!!!!!!!! So would you guess from using it before if it would even work on lighter colored leathers without significant darkening? (like white leather, :) )

Edit: I just found this from a pdf on renaissance wax:

"For example, photographs for exhibition or of historic value are waxed to protect the image from the natural acidity of hands or environmental pollutants. The wax does not stain or darken even white paper."

Wodpow/Grunt, man, you have no idea how helpful yall have been to me today. No idea.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:36:03 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 08:53:40 pm »
Edit: Just tryed the plain beeswax. Does not work in any way shape or form.

I put my handle wraps on like several others have noted, by dampening the leather and stretching it tight as I sew.  And I have put natural beeswax on once the leather dries.  You have to heat the leather with a hair dryer or a heat gun on low setting and rub the wax from there.  You will be amazed how much wax leather will absorb.  As for white leather, I think the best thing would be to hang the bow in a hermetically sealed case to prevent smudges, fingerprints, sweatstains, or other discoloration. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 04:51:03 am »
I made several wrapped handles of leather lace such as the one pictured here that I sealed with boat varnish.
Frank from Germany...

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 01:33:47 pm »
I have used Sno-Seal but it does darken any leather some. I used it on elk skin and it darkened it a few shades. Just be sure you heat it up with a blow dryer, etc. after applying to let it penetrate . It also makes leather a little bit sticky.  I'd try it first on some scrap pieces.