Author Topic: New to me- Bloodwood board (unexpected xmas gift)  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
New to me- Bloodwood board (unexpected xmas gift)
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:56:29 pm »
well, i have heard some good things about it, but some bad things as well,

the board that was bought was about 3/4 inch thick, 6" wide, so, what i was planning was making a few backed bows or maybe tri-lam bows,

well, since i didnt get a choice in the matter, i was thinking, what is the best design for it, what is the main reason it is not used much, except for tips and handles (price is not a reason, i heard this has stronger compression strength than ipe, yet it isnt used as much as ipe)

well, give me some info on the design i should use, and the dimensions, and i will try to tackle this one day.

it is pretty and if it isnt a decent bow wood, i more than likely will do as most do, cut off sections as i need them for handles or tips :P
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline Badger

Re: New to me- Bloodwood board (unexpected xmas gift)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:28:19 pm »
   I have seen a few decent bloodwood bows but I won't put any more time into one, if I did it would be just a basic straightbow maybe a touch or reflex. It has always seemed brittle in compression to me and every bow I made either broke right at 28" or a little before, never got more than a few shots out one. If the grain were very straight it might work better. I had problems with big chunks just blowing right out of the belly. Steve

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:29:28 am »
Hey,

If it stinks to high heaven you know you got the right stuff!  Makes purty birds on flutes if you put a clothes pin on your nose while you work it.:)  Don't know about bows though.

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:52:45 pm »
I've heard bad things about the health effects of Bloodwood. I think it's one of those to wear a good mask with.

Over here in the UK a number of makers of longbows did use it as a belly wood but found it brittle, so now it is used as a decorative central core. It is very pretty.

Mark in England

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:54:50 pm »
I recently finished a tri-lam ELB with ash back, bloodwood core, and osage belly. 60#@29", 74" NTN, D profile, bendy handle. It worked out very well, with only about 1/2" of set. The color contrasts were very nice, but I don't think I'd use it as a belly wood.

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 05:48:21 pm »
I've heard bad things about the health effects of Bloodwood. I think it's one of those to wear a good mask with.

Over here in the UK a number of makers of longbows did use it as a belly wood but found it brittle, so now it is used as a decorative central core. It is very pretty.

Mark in England

amen to the "it is very pretty" for fun i did a little test on how it looks with a bit of finish on it, and wow, it almost looks metallic, if you change an angle it is like each growth ring has mirrors in it, of different colors. from dark dark blood red, to hot pink, it really has a nice warm look to it, and if it isnt a good bow wood, i will stick to overlays and handles, thanks everyone, and um, if i do make a bow from it,  it'll prolly be boo backed, bloodwood core, and... what kind of wood would look best on the belly, (osage is out, too expensive)
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.