Author Topic: boo glue ?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline jeff halfrack

boo glue ?
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:24:59 pm »
  How  important is a  hot  box  when  gluing  boo  to  hickory ?   is  recorcinal  ok  for  a  boo  backing  Thanks  JEFFW

Offline markinengland

Re: boo glue ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »
I've not glued boo and hickory together but have glued both hickory and bamboo to woods like Ipe using Resorcinol. No heat is needed. Prep the surfaces as per the instruction, apply glue (I apply it to both surfaces) bind with rubber strip, clamp into former if you want to and just bring it indoors for a few days. 24 hours at room tempterature is enough but I like to play on the safe side.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:50:08 pm »
why go to all the trouble i use tb 3  works great never had a filar  have done many ipe  boo  all kinds  brock

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:53:10 pm »
resorcinol works good. It will cure faster if you keep it nice and warm. I would have it at least 70 deg. but 90 would be better.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline kentowl

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:00:50 pm »
I might be able to recommend something in a few hours. My first bow (hickory-backed red oak I cut and split last October, and floor-tillered yesterday) is 25 hours into room-temperature cure.

Glue used was Smooth-on EA-40. This two-part EA-40 is a bit thick at room temperature, but it mixes easily, spreads evenly, and stays on the bond area very well. Normal mix is 1:1, but I went 2A:1B which is supposed to give "maximum performance and improved heat tolerance". I clamped 24 hours at 65 degrees (room temp in the midst of a blizzard) which should be enough. But the EA-40 tech sheet says higher heat for a few more hours adds strength, so I ducted a small electric heater's output over the clamped bow, bringing it up to 110-115F. After a couple more hours heating plus time to cool in the clamps, I'll find out how well it works!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:45:32 pm »
    I've but them in a hot box just to warm them up in the winter. Keep your shop warm. Warm your boo and bow up a little then put it together. bUT I've never dryed it in a hot box.
   When I BUILD A HICKORY BOW I DO BUT I A HOT BOX  while I'm working it clear up to finishing. Use as low as heat as posable and leave the lid cracked.You only want it to not collect any moisture as you take wood of your limbs. Moisture is one of the main reason for string follow in hickory.
   I've did this with 20 or so hickory bowsI have'nt had one with over a inch string follow. Most have none. Even though I build mainly osage bows  HICKORYS MY FAVORET BOW WOOD.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING