Author Topic: GSP pup? (Is Here)  (Read 13615 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: GSP pup?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 10:49:11 pm »
NTD Those malinois are some wild dogs :o  They like protection work a bit more than shepherds even.  There where a few in the shutzhund class I attended and they just couldn't wait to take someone down ;D  Cool dogs 8)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline NTD

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 10:53:35 pm »
 ;D  Yes yes indeed.  Only someone who has met one truly understand what I mean when I talk about a High drive dog ;)  My current boy really is a lover but he loves the fight even more.
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 10:55:09 pm »
Tell,

I appreciate the input.  What differences do you notice between wire and shorts?
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 11:29:58 pm »
I loved my shorthairs, but they were definitely high strung. They were great with the kids too.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 12:04:08 am »
The wirehair is a family dog.  they are very loyal and protective of home and family.  They tend to be better suited for cold weather, and love water.  They are tough dogs it takes alot to see one that is hurt.

The shorthair has a good nose, works well in warm weather.  They dont tend to like water much, though some do.  They are a much smaller dog, and they are very high strung. they need to be constantly doing something. where my wirehair is much more laid back, almost like the old lazy hound. (until its hunting time, then she comes alive.)

They are both good dogs. I love the wirehair for their toughness and disposition.  And you dont see to many of them around, I like to have things that are different. They are just cool dogs.

Good luck in finding one.

I know a guy here that has shorthairs that are 4 weeks and for sale. He has 11 of the little guys. Im in southern Idaho. They are good hunters I have hunted with the parent dogs.

tell
Tell Riley

Offline NTD

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 12:36:04 am »
Tell,

I can see the benefit of the rough coat but I think that the short hair might be a bit better due to me being in a pretty warm spot and I hardly ever see or get near water.  And as far as the uniqueness LOL I already have one dog that I have to say..."No he's NOT a german shephard" ;D ;)

What's he asking for the pups?  Know if he'd be willing to put one on a plane?
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 01:33:52 am »
The real shorthairs aren't really smaller. Mine came straight out of Germany and they were large, about the same as a longhair. The stud was top stud in Germany and the US and was a dual champion (trials and show). The lady that bred the pups (a German immigrant) said that most dogs from Germany were bigger, and that the smaller US dogs had English Pointer bred into them. She said that any time you see a mostly white GSP or one with bowed front legs you should see red flags.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 01:42:53 am »
Thanks for the info Justin.
Nate Danforth

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »
Can't go wrong with Shorthairs. They are either very good dogs or terrible dogs,(Whoa,like alot of breeds) usually the former. But like horses and women,it's in the breeding. I put good breeding ahead of everything else,training comes next.Good dogs often overcome Bad trainers,but bad dogs just don't train well.
 I have a friend who has had Wirehairs and Griffons forever (Otherwise known as ugly dogs  ;D) He's in his seventies , still has 3 griffons and hunts every season.Best and worse dogs he ever owned, were shorthairs.  I have owned shorthairs and griffons (And Labs.) and been around a good many of all bird dogs in the last forty years,Have trained a few for others too. (on both coasts). I currently have no dog,love to bird hunt,have moved to bird country again and have bought a home here. I will be getting a dog next year and have feelers out with Hunter/Breeders that I know personally, I will get  a shorthair (Birds) and a Lab (Everything,but especially waterfowl)  I was considering a pair of Britty's, but decided three was too many dogs. The finest dog I ever hunted behind in terms of "Best hunter" was a Visla bitch that a friend owned. I just think you can't beat a well bred shorthair. (Plus we have alot of cockleburrs and other sticky crap around here, long haired dogs are a pain because of them) The use of electronic training collars has reined in wide ranging Breeds and made them a delight to hunt on foot with. (I never was enthused about mounted dog trials.)
  My 2 cents.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 09:06:16 pm »
Hey Nate.

He said he would ship them on a plane. we can email you pictures too.  They are 250 for a male and 300 for a female.  They are abou 4 weeks old now. PM me for any other info.

Thanks
Tell
Tell Riley

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 11:05:09 pm »
 Well, now I see why you get to ride the roads at night without your wife complaining. ;D I can't ad much to this, I've had Lab's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 11:24:15 pm »
Yeah Eddie, wouldn't be a pretty sight if someone messed with my wife with the dog around.  But with that being said, she works graveyards and I usually do the road cruising on the nights she works.  And being the lovely woman she is she even tags along on her days off sometimes ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 01:49:46 am »
Frank,

You mentioned the Vizslas, My Great Grandfather, a Hungarian immigrant, bred vizslas.  He used to tell me that real hunters hunt birds.  He was an incredible man, unfortunately his health never allowed us to hunt together :'(  I'd like a Vizsla but it seems if you want a solid nerved Vizsla you have to sell body parts to afford one, they were too pretty and the pet people bred the snot out of them.  Pet and show breedings have ruined a lot of good dogs, it what happens when they forget that you breed for function and form follows...not the other way around...
Nate Danforth

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 10:44:39 am »
 My Grandpa said that the cocker spaniel was as good a small hunting dog as a guy could want back before the show people got ahold of them. I hear there are some guys bringing back the hunting cocker.  I did not know that they had started on the Visla's.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 04:45:20 pm »

Dang Nate, I wasn't going to get in this, but since you mentioned that your "GrandFather", used to say " Fuzz ", well, in that same " Era " there was also PIG..... ;D  The PO PO is fairly recent.   No, I am not ragging on de Po Leece, My family has a history, of police officers, including one in the FBI, and I had an offer to join the FBI when I got out of the Amy.   When I was a Kid, about the time your "GrandFather" was,  ::),We had an English Setter.  What a great Bird Dog he was.  We had deer dogs, and one mixed breed, we hunted with, part black and tan, and red bone, and blue tick, would point turkeys, and quail, and retrieve doves, as well hunt the heck out of deer, and was a real sweet heart.  I think if you have a good dog, that likes to hunt, and is trained well, and rewarded with lots of affection, you will not be disappointed in the results.   ;)  When I lived in the Virgin Islands, I worked with a Sheppard, and Dobermans.  All good dogs.  The Shepard was smarter, but people would ask if the Shepard would bite, and never ask that about the Dobies.  It was just automatically assumed that it would.  My Buddy had a Rottwieler, and had it for home protection down there.  It was a very smart dog.  It would lift it's claws up and just walk on it's pads, when attacking the trainer, when he would call and tell them he would come in the kitchen door.  My Buddie had to get his wife to watch him do that.  He would lift his claws while walking across the terrazzo kitchen floor, and once on the carpet, he would nail the trainer!  My Buddy had to take the kids into the bedroom, and close the door before he could spank them.  The dog wouldn't let him otherwise. They also used German Short Hair and Giant Schnauzers for guard dogs down there also.  Well give my regards to Sherriff Aiparo, or however you spell it.  I think HE Should be the head of Homeland Security!  Then you could take his place as Sherriff! 8)  They let your Wife ride with you?  Cool! 8) 

Wayne