Author Topic: hey buddy,got a light?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: hey buddy,got a light?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 08:16:38 pm »
I have two humidor boxes I dont even use. PM me if interested. would be glad to get rid of them just for shipping. 

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline sailordad

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 09:20:42 pm »
Tell, i wish i would have read your post sooner,i just ordered a new capri humidor
it'll hold 50 so its plenty big,and the price was more than reasonable
but nit as reasonable as your offer
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 10:41:07 pm »
 While you try to figure it out, keep them in your crisper box in the refridgerator in Tupperware. That's what I do with good coffee from Brazil.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 11:24:03 pm »
Eddie, i do that with coffee to. i also got some fresh coffee from COSTA RICA,along with the smokes
my research on line says that storing cigars in the frindge/freezer is a bad thing for them
they need to be warm and moist,thats why a humidor is recomended
it maintaines 60-70% humidity,and then a temp 0f 70 is preffered also
once a they are in a well maintained humidor hey can acutally keep for many many years
they say a full bodied cigar can season for 10 yrs,med body 5-7,light body cigar 2-3
then they ae at thei best for flavor and smokeability
atleast i know i should be able to get them to last untill ican finish them all  ;D

for now i put the whole box with the lid held slightly open in a large ziploc bag with damp paper towel
should work untill my humidor shows and o get it seasoned for use

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 01:23:07 am »
 Oh well, I was trying for a puff at the Classic. ;D I haven't smoked anything since a cigar when I got my Rio in Texas, over 15 years ago.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 12:17:53 pm »
Storing coffee in the freezer is not the best for it either. If it is unroasted, a linen bag is just fine. Needs air. Will stay good for years. When roasted, after the first 12 - 24 hours when most of the degassing has occurred, an airtight container is best. I never grind any unless I am going to use it in just a couple of days. Only roast what I will use that week. 
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 10:59:44 pm »
Thats cool, just thought I would offer.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 11:31:24 am »
I'm only about 180 miles from Cuba - you could send them down here, they'll feel more at home.  Poor homesick cigars.
1’—>1’

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 01:03:00 am »

Most Cuban cigars I have tried, and friends had, were terrible!  Have a Buddy in Montana, down in Townsend, and he has some Cuban friends, that brought him some, and he said the same thing.  I got some from a guy, at a house fire, one time, some Cohibas, and a couple of other ones also, and I gave them to my brother, he said they were awful.  I think they are too strong to enjoy.  I guess you have to be brought up on it.  Sort of like living at a pig farm.  What smell?  The ones from the Dominican Republic are pretty good.But you might try keeping them in the original box, and put the box in a zip lock bag, till you get a humidor.  If you don't get a humidor, and keeping them in the original box, and in a zip lock works, save one Eddie, at the classic.  ;)  You can buy kits to make your own humidor.  But you can get one at a good cigar store.  Who knows, you just might get another box sometime..... 8)

Wayne

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 04:17:08 am »
I'm only about 180 miles from Cuba - you could send them down here, they'll feel more at home.  Poor homesick cigars.

Nothing like helpful friends...!  ;D ;D ;D
Frank from Germany...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:26 pm »
well i just thought i would let ya'll know

these cigars are FRIGGEN AWESOME  8)
they have a smootheness to them i have never had from a smoke before,well not legal smokes anyhow  ;D
i took me three days worth of smoking to get it finished(about 3 hrs total smoke time)
it never got harsh or bitter from being lit/put out/relit at all like alot of cigars do
they dont have the odor that lot of cigars put off
the draw is smooth and even from begining to end
now thats a good smoke  ;)

Parnell: i made your offer to the box of cigars and they just dont want to go back to being that close to the dictator again
           they said democracy is much better

wayne: if a cigar(good or bad)gets dry they will always taste bad and be harsh etc.
           the key is to keep them in bout 70% humidity,60-70* temps,and let them age for awhile
           a good cigar is like good wine. the longer you let it age,then breath the better it will be
           most of  the cigar tobacco that is grown in the Dominican Republic is Cuban seed for the tobacco and just grown there instead of Cuba
           this,as i am told,has to do with our ongoing embargo with Cuba.manufacturers use the cuban seed in the D R to get as close to a true cuban flavor as possible.   
           i for one can tell you now,there is still a differance in the tobacco flavor,must be the differance in soil cause its the same seed.
           so i am guessing the cubans youve tried were probably overly dried and got stale.(some people dont know the proper way of treating cigars)
           oh and by the way,i dont smell pig poop either.actually i like the smell of manure in the spring time  ;D
           and i have been doing the whole ziploc baggie thing for now too,but thanks for the input (my humidor should be here on monday next week)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 11:47:25 pm »

yes indeed, you have to keep them fresh, or they will not be any good at all.  These were fresh, just very strong.  The Dominican cigars are from Cuban seed, but the soil is not quite the same as in Cuba, which will make a difference.  I am sure there are some good tasting Cuban cigars, I just have not come across them, not that I ever came across that many real Cuban cigars.  I have some Cuban Friends, and I could get some from them now and then, but I don't smoke any more, so I haven't tried any more. I dated a woman years ago, and before she left Cuba, she worked as a cigar roller.  Most of the cigars you get here have tobacco, and man made products.  I like the way they describe that..... Man made......now just what kind of man made products?  My brother smokes some that are all tobacco, and he likes them, and I gave him some from DR, and he likes them and has had them before, but prefers the ones he smokes.  I can't remember what brand they are.  Like he said you can smoke a five dollar cigar, and a dollar cigar, and find the dollar one smokes, better.  I have a Friend from the Dominican Republic, and he makes a ritual out of smoking a cigar.Yes a Woman is only a Woman, but a good cigar, is a smoke!  Thanks to Rudyard Kipling, in the Betrothed.  I have a 1900's book of his poetry.  He wrote that poem from an article he read in the newspaper about a woman who gave her husband an ultimatum, either the cigars go, or she goes.  Glad you got a good box of cigars.  as far as smooth and illegal smokes, I have never had a smooth illegal smoke! :P  More like a " Hemp " rope being dragged down your throat...... ;D  Enjoy them, my Friend, a good cigar and a good glass of whiskey, or bourbon, is a blissful moment to remember, for the sheer pleasant relaxation, and the separation form the stress of the day.  Quite the elixir of life's finer things.  Soothes the nerves, and massages the soul.  A little trivia, supposedly the little band on most cigars was started when Queen Elizabeth, complained of getting tobacco stains on her little delicate fingers, so they put a band of papper around the Cigar, so she could hold it, and not soil her little fingers.  I don't know how much truth there is in it, but that is what I have heard.  Enjoy the New Year with your treasure.  You need a comfortable old chair, and a heater in your garage, and a radio with some good ol Oldies, and then you can really enjoy! ;)

Wayne