Author Topic: Really old doe  (Read 5146 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Really old doe
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:17:08 pm »
   Although it was'nt a mature buck." BUT" Friday evening I had 2 small bucks followed by 4 doe's.Heading toward the standing corn I planted. The one doe I put on my hit list 4 years ago when I starter seeing her and getting pic's in the summer. Every hunting season she'd disappered just like a mature buck. She would'nt feed out in the feilds with the other doe's. She was 3 or 4 when I first started seeing her. I try  to take doe's off my farms at 4 or 5. When I need to.
   I shot her at 8 yards my dogwood arrow did it's job and she olny went 30 yards. Diffently my oldest doe to date.I taken quite a few 4 and 5 year olds but she had to be 8 or more. Good teeth but you could see every rib. She was a poor 130 or 140 #'s.
  Although I killed a 4 1/2 year old 6 point earlyer this year. She seamed a much better deer. I think old mature doe's are if not harder to take than mature bucks.They have to take care of her whole faimly group. Wants your thoughts.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Really old doe
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:10:58 pm »
I got no prejudice against no doe. I have one in the freezer along with a buck, I look in there,it all looks the same,all taste good. Currently got alot of horn for tool making.
Does can be as tough to sneak on as any buck, I do find mature bucks to be harder to find than mature does  (until rut starts) Rutting bucks are too easy.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:18:29 am »
    I don't have a problem killing doe's either.On my farms I just beleive in taking older doe's .If you manage your herd right they need to pass on those surpeiror geans same as bucks. Maybe more if you have a good gean pool.This is why we only kill older doe's off my farms when we need to. Plus this way your sure not to shot a button buck.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 08:18:12 am »
No problem with killing does or Buttons for that matter,they all eat the same to me. I manage the herd with what I hunt with not much strategy to that. :) The buttons won't be there in a year or so anyway and unless you manage a big ,big chunk of land it won't help you buck population.
Mom will run him off as soon as he gets in hard horn next year. That's why you see so many
young bucks wandering around like that don't know where they are in Nov. Cause they don't. :)
Congrats on and nice old doe,I also believe that they are really tough to kill with the equipment we use. No mistakes with them or you are had. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:20:22 pm »
I agree, old does are smart does! 

Even more so with antelope.  When breeding season comes around for goatalopes the bucks just plain stop watching their sixes and count on the boss doe to keep him safe. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »
Getting that wily old battleaxe at 8 feet is quite an accomplishment.  I've had old does farther out alert clueless smaller bucks I was about to shoot a few times.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA