Author Topic: Eric Krewson's tillering "Gizmo"!  (Read 20594 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:08:43 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Re: Eric Krewson's tillering "Gizmo"!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:44:06 am »
thanx for the link pat
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:00:44 am »
This is another great tool to add to your box.  It really helped me tiller out a board bow over the weekend.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:04:51 am »
After you initially set the device do you maintain that setting through the entire tillering process?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:27 am »
Steve, the more the limb bends the deeper the piencil has to go through to be able to leave a mark. I will set it shallow to start with, run it down both limbs and remove the pencil marks them reset it a bit deeper and go again. Be sure that both limbs are bending to each setting before resetting it.
  Another use I have found is if you slide the gizmo down each side of each limb it will help with correcting twist that came about from uneven wood removal.   I don't use Eric's gizmo too much but in tricky tillering I find it to be very useful getting good tiller when my eye won't pick it up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:13:16 pm »
Thank you Pat.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Slow

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
Sorry if raising this back up is a no no, but I just had to say THANKS!!  I'm a newb and have made about 5 bows in the last week, only this last one worked, in great part because of this tool!  Tillering is much easier to figure out with it!  Thanks!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:46:52 pm »
I'll keep it at the top, it's a magnificent tool and I use it whenever I can. It works great on a standard longbow design, but found that it doesn't work so well on my new hybrid R/D designs.
Every beginning bowyer and experienced bowyer alike should have one of these in their arsenal of bow building tools.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline billn

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:30:14 am »
It is an interesting simplification of a bow-making bendmeter, first devised by Wilcox in the 1920's. Russ and others refined it over the years. I seem to recall reading that Dr. Klopsteg used a spherometer for the same purpose.

If you make one with stand-offs, you can use it on the back side of the bow. It marks the areas that are bending the most, so are to be avoided.

I have a dial micrometer on mine - since yew staves are seldom perfectly flat. Some that I work with have significant waved surfaces and/or reflexed/deflexed sections. The micrometer allows me to take measurements at the various stations while the bow is not flexed, then remeasured under bending. I can then compare the readings at the stations to find out which areas are bending less than others.

Bill

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 06:31:03 am »
thanks i haden't thought about using it like that before. before i was using just a block and where ever there was a gap i would scrape some wood. whats funny is just after seeing tis i saw it on Boarrior bows channel and a guy called mike was doing the same thing. maybe he got it from here
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee