Author Topic: Last day of 2010  (Read 12906 times)

Offline PeteC

Last day of 2010
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:33:19 am »
It would have been great to get another deer on the last hunt of the year,but you've got to see em before you can tag em. This little booger did make a mistake however. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Last day of 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:27 am »
 Meat !  Good way to end one and start another.(That's good looking gear)  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:47:06 am »
Nice shooting.  I like your set up.  I have a deer hide softening that is going to turn into a quiver much like yours.  I guess great minds think alike.  lol.   ;)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:47 am »
Hitting the chest of a deer with an arrow is one thing, doing it on a squirrel is quite another.  That is very good shooting Pete.  Do you have the late doe/spike season in your county so you can keep hunting?  Of course, there's always hogs.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:46:36 am »
Great way to end the season,or last day is this Sunday,hope to do as well. Nice shot.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:39 pm »
Thanks fellas.It's funny,the day after I killed my doe on thanksgiving,we had some good storms come through,that brought down a lot of acorns that had been holdin' on.After this happened,I did'nt see a deer for the rest of the season.  George,no we don't have that special season in Smith co.,or any around here that I know of.Sure wish we did though,the weather is about to get right again,and there are not many acorns left now.Oh well ,it's time to go pig huntin' now,and, I have been seeing some ducks ;) God Bless

Offline Kolton

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:59:15 pm »
Good job, i like your quiver if i used one of those i might got shot by a road hunter(there is a lot of road hunters where i live  :( )
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 07:35:49 pm »
Pete,

Too bad on the acorns.  We had just the opposite thing happen.  A storm came through just after Christmas and the rain it dumped must've cause the acorns to rot that were down.  The deer just started to come back to the feeders  the last week, just in time.  I haven't duck hunted since high school, good luck.  I'm fletching arrows for my osage takedown so I'm ready for hog hunting.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »
Believe me Kolton,the thought has entered my mind many times.Especially huntin' public land. I do however hunt in areas where it is "archery only" during deer season,but when I'm going to an area ,and returning from,I make dang sure I've got my orange vest on. ;D. George,do you live in the St.Paul that's down in San Patricio co. ? I lived in Atascosa co.back years ago workin' for Halliburton ,in Pleasanton.I love that brush country down there and miss it much,especially the huntin' ;).God Bless

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:42 pm »
No, I'm in Collin Co near Dallas on the northeast side (between Wylie and Parker).  I'm only a couple hours from you mostly west.  My lease is further west towards Abilene and a little south.  Totally different country there than around here.  Be happy to take you that way with me some time if you want to see mesquites, cedars and live oaks (and chase the hogs).  I love that country.  Of course, I love the piney woods over your way too.  Probably as many hogs too. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:08 am »
Your right George,we've got plenty of hogs over here.We usually hunt public land for pigs,mainly because our method of huntin' them,easing along real slow with with our "pig mobiles",AKA as modified,simplified ,mountain bikes till we spot pigs,then stalk on foot for a shot. It helps us get way back in the woods,(and away from others)then,after making a kill ,boning him out and packing him out on the bike.You know,since we don't have any gatherings around our part of the state.Would'nt it be neat to have a "Primitive" hog hunt gathering /campout weekend. I know it would take some planning,but there are quite a few folks in the general area that might like to meet,and hunt together for a weekend.Heck,just getting to meet a lot of these folks would be fun. What do you think?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »
That sounds fun Pete, I certainly want to do it.  I don't have a bike though it sure sounds like a slick way to hunt pigs.  Lets do it. 

George
St Paul, TX