Author Topic: A lot of pain, with no reward.  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
A lot of pain, with no reward.
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:32:17 pm »
I spent about 4 hours of my day yesterday, hauling a good 20" diameter black locust log (by hand) (was about 20 feet long... no signs of twist in it on the bark, no signs of knots, but that is irrelevant) was an insanely heavy log so i went corner by corner, inch by inch using pry poles...

long story short, i  moved it as best i could and tried tog et back to it today... only to be unable to find it, ... there are plenty of chunks of it... just no log.... they bulldozed it... after i left a note (raised about 10 ft above ground so it could be seen, even if it couldnt be read because of the snow... it was raised and oddly shaped enough to draw attention...)  i taped one to the windshield of the dozer, and one by the log... i even talked specifically to the guy who was "saving" it for me, well... as of now... i have enough rage to just smash his windshield... but i wont, only because i would get in trouble....

the area smells extremely strong of gasoline, i know this much,... they light a match... i will not hesitate to call the fire department and make them deal with them... open fires are not allowed in this county, and honestly... burning perfect locust, osage, mulberry and other gorgeous wood should be illegal too... i was late for the osage.... i was late for most except for the one black locust i have saved.... besides that... i have nothing...

i want to go remove my other thread "the magic of winter" because now.... it isnt so magical.... since everything i listed in there.... is gone... destroyed, burnt or buried.... i cannot use them now... (the few decent pieces of hedge.... useless now... burnt)

i am depressed... mostly since i just cut up some of my older staves  (since i have a limit on how much wood i am allowed to store down here...) since i thought i made it clear that i wanted the wood....

talked in person, he promised to save...
left a note on windshield of dozer...
made a freakin billboard by the log pretty much glorifying him and thanking him for not destroying the tree....

i want to work on a bow... but the last thing i want to do is mess up due to my bad mood....

thanks for spending the time to read this...
Hawkeyes
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline sonny

Re: A lot of pain, with no reward.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:37:08 pm »
......if you keep at it long enough you'll end up gathering some wood that's somehow unusable..
I understand your frustration but it'll pass.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:14 pm »
......if you keep at it long enough you'll end up gathering some wood that's somehow unusable..
I understand your frustration but it'll pass.

nah, it isnt the wood's fault, wood would have been a great haul... i left it out so i could rest and recover... and the broken promise is what hurts the most...

it seems the only people who i can trust, and who understand the struggle to find good wood like that... are the people on here, and maybe a few other places similar to here *winks*.

i found a snakey maple that i cut earlier this  year in my woodpile and i split it, no mold, i am lucky, (i keep them pretty well covered...) if i am desperate to attempt something, i might attempt them, but to be safe... i am setting up a pulley system for this one :P

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:25 pm »
   That really Blows!!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline boo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:59:56 pm »
Just a thought??? Is there a chance they moved it to the side somewhere out of the way? Sounds like a nice log, Hope you get it.
Boo

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:53 pm »
Just a thought??? Is there a chance they moved it to the side somewhere out of the way? Sounds like a nice log, Hope you get it.

if it was moved, by the sizes of the chunks i found. i wouldnt want it... there are some 3 foot sections where alot of the sapwood, and some heartwood were ripped...

also i searched the area high and low for anything of similar dimensions, found a log that might have been it... but... was crushed beyond repair... and buried about a foot underground with a good 30 tons of weight on top if it... they bury these suckers good before they light em i see.... i hope they do burn em... ill call the fire department, hell i should call it now, saying all i can smell around there is gas...

That really Blows!!

Yeah... i hope to catch the guy tomorrow and see wtfs up? its easy to betray someones trust when they arent around... but i want to see what his excuse is when i catch him...

possible excuses?

"oh...durr, me cant read no good"
"thought you wanted them short..." (said to leave it uncut)
"you never said the log you put the sign on was the one you wanted to save"
lol, hope you get a couple laughs from it... if he tries anything "funny"  might not see me for a while as i might rage... this guy stressed me enoguh as it is... if i get anything besides an apology... *sigh*

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:14:09 pm by Hawkeyes »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:04 pm »
 Call the Enviromental Enforcement Agency. Sounds like a Hazard/Toxic Spill Site to me. ::) ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:15:31 pm »
Call the Enviromental Enforcement Agency. Sounds like a Hazard/Toxic Spill Site to me. ::) ;D
heh, not a bad idea... but i think when the sky is lit up with red+ black smoke... that should be enough... or when the dumbasses reallize that frozen logs dont burn that easy heh

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:00 pm »
That'd be one of those times that I'd long to still be a minor with a strong tendency to see things go boom!
1’—>1’

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:54 pm »
That'd be one of those times that I'd long to still be a minor with a strong tendency to see things go boom!

what hurts me, is i feel like i just broke 20 bows... but didnt learn a thing... that is kind of the depression i feel...
i could have gotten 2 seven foot sections, and 1 six foot section, split into 4, split those into two, and do some sisters of each of them ^.^ soo... o.o if i am doing math right, 44 bows? all very long staves.... gone...

i wouldnt mind seeing things go boom, just get the bow wood out of the explosion, good bow wood+ explosion= stream of meaningless profanities

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 02:44:31 am »

I can feel the frustration, and don't blame your anger, but like it was said, let it go, and don't waste your time over it.  It is a waste, and after all you did to get it through to them.  Well, Karma, has a way.  ;) I hope they do light it up.  Then at least you will feel somewhat, that closure has been achieved.  Not that, that will make up for all the bow wood.  There are a myriad of ways for costly revenge, but those things sometimes have a way of coming back on you.  But if you were to wait a year or so...... ::)  Just kidding, just wait for them to light it up.  I know it would frost my butt, for that to happen.  My major sin is revenge.  But I have learned to let some things go, and not ruin my limited time here on earth, with anger. ;)  I hope the rest of the New Year, goes well for you.  Take care.

Wayne

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 02:00:50 pm »
Next time take a log chain with you and pay the SOB to drag it out with the dozer. Most of those guys don't want to do anything that gets in the way of getting done with their job. Money talks.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »

what hurts me, is i feel like i just broke 20 bows... but didnt learn a thing... that is kind of the depression i feel...
i could have gotten 2 seven foot sections, and 1 six foot section, split into 4, split those into two, and do some sisters of each of them ^.^ soo... o.o if i am doing math right, 44 bows? all very long staves.... gone...
[/quote]

I think you are counting on a lot of "Blue Sky" there....some of those staves wouldn't have been any good, in reality you probably only lost 40 staves. 

Here in the Bow Wood Wasteland I can sympathize with you.  Show me a piece of wood like that and I'll herniate every disc in my back and blow out my bottom O ring just getting that sucker to safety!!! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 10:48:05 pm »
now theres an old saying that goes something like this
"dont count your chicks before they hatch"
i think its fitting for this story
dont consider it lost bows or staves
cause its not
it just lost wood at this point
now from the land owners point of view
he said you could have it probably because he wanted it gone
after all they did cut it down right?
and you told them you were gonna take it
they came back and it was still there and not gone like they wanted
so he did what he had originally planned for it
he got rid of it

yes i realize how hard it is to get wood for bows,i dont own land either and i live in a city too
if i see someone cutting down trees i stop and inquire within about getting limbs,trunk or whatever
i then take it at that time regardless of how much work it is to get it home
if folks are cutting trees down its usually cause they want to get rid of them now
they usually dont want to see the wood laying around after its been cut
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 11:50:08 pm »
Ouch.  I feel the pain. >:(

Been in a similar situation but mine involved deer parts and turkey feathers.  It's amazing what some fools will throw away because they don't want to be "bothered".

Anyway, I turned the anger into a fierce determination to find a better way of gathering materials.  Now I'm swimming in the stuff. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr