Author Topic: blow gun darts fletched with mikweed fluff, cotton & squirrel  (Read 19827 times)

Offline swamp monkey

blow gun darts fletched with mikweed fluff, cotton & squirrel
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »
Over the holidays i was able to work on some blow gun darts to go with my river cane blow gun.  I made six darts fletched with milkweed fluff, three fletched with cotton and two fletched with a section of squirrel tail. 

The milkweed darts took an hour each. 
The cotton darts took 20 minutes each
The squirrel tail darts took only minutes.  Skinning the squirrel and getting the tail off in a case skinning method took about a minute.  no adhesive needed.  Once the tail dried it was stuck good. 

I used fletch tight for my adhesive and created decorative wrapping with red and black thread. 

I like the milkweed most of all.  I want to work on how the cotton darts look.  The source I used to do them had darts that looked great.  Mine do not compare.  Live and learn.   :)  Now I have a goal.

It was fun and they are a hoot to use on a cardboard box!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:27:42 am by swamp monkey »

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: blow gun darts fletched with thistle, cotton & squirrel
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »
Awesome darts!  This is a project iv wanted to do for a while.  Where did you get your thistle?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:08 pm »
Thistle grows weedy style in some pastures and roadsides.  I collect the pods before they mature so the silk portions do not release.  I do the same thing with Milkweed.  I really like the looks of a milkweed dart but boy they are work. 

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:11:06 am »
looks good!  this is my next project.  how long is your blowgun and how did you hollow it out?  i found a good piece when i last cut some arrow shafts, but it split when i tried to hollow it out..  i tried using a long pointy dowel right after i cut it, but that didnt work.. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:33:40 am »

Swamp Monkey;
     Those are beautiful.  How are you applying the thistle?  Are you laying the thistle in your hand, and putting the string in a slit in the end of the dart, and rolling the dart, and finishing off by wrapping and pull through, or are you gluing piece by piece?
I watched a guy making them by rolling them in his hand, and it was quick, and beautiful when finished.  Less than a minute.  I tried one some time back, and it was no beauty, but it functioned quite well.  I want to try again, and practice a bit.  I have lots of thistle on my property in Montana. :P  I want to make a blow gun, for them, with a piece of 1/2 inch copper tubing in a piece of cane. 

Wayne

Offline swamp monkey

Re: blow gun darts fletched with mikweed fluff, cotton & squirrel
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:32:51 am »
I have a rule at home to never talk about important things with my wife after 9PM because I am a mental vegetable.  Well I realized this AM that the post mentioned thistle not milkweed.  The darts are fletched with milkweed fluff, not thistle.  I even replied regarding thistle without catching it.  I have made thistle darts but that is not what I have pictured.  SO I changed the post title and my initial description.  Sorry about that and NO MORE posts after 9PM. :-[

I will describe the process after work today and use some drawings to help.  As Paul Harvey used to say, "stand by for news!"

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:12:45 pm »
Standing by !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 04:00:04 pm »

Waiting to hear......" The rest of the Story ! "  Good Day.

Wayne

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:02:47 pm »
sorry to be so windy but here it goes: 

To make a blow gun I choose a large diameter piece of cane that has a diameter of 1 inch or so on the large end.  Blow guns can be most any length but 5- 8 feet is good.  Think about it like rifles and pistols.  Which one has accuracy at longer distances?  The long arm.
I straighten the cane like I would any atlatl dart or cane arrow with dry heat from hot coals or a heat gun.  Once straight comes the fun part.  I will describe the methods I have heard about and the ones I have tried.
HOT ROD:  take a five feet long section of steel rod that is the appropriate diameter to fit in either end of your blow gun stock.  Have a good hot fire going - coals are good for this.  Stick one end of the rod in the fire to get that bright orange glow.  Use welding gloves to pick up your cane and handle the rod (safety) put the glowing end in the hollow internode part of the cane and push until you hit a node,  slow keep the pressure until it burns through the node.  You then proceed through to the next node in line.  I usually can burn two nodes before I have to reheat.  If I have a few to do and want to get on this (especially summer when the last thing I want to do is play around a hot fire) I have two rods going at one time.  That way one is always in the fire getting hot.  In no time at all you will have burned out the nodes.  You might run the hot rod over the nodes a bit to help burn them down, but don’t dally too long as the burning rod will burn through the sides of your blow gun.  . . . don’t ask me how I know that.
DOWN THE TUBES: you can dump a small burning coal down the hollow portion and push it through with a stick.  This was a method described for Cherokee blowguns and I want to try that some time.  That same site recommended using a long piece of green cane to “sand down” the nodes and to do it soon after you burn the nodes out so the plant oils can transfer back into the blow gun.  Silica in the cane will help sand things. 
SPLIT & GLUE:  Some Native American blowguns were split, nodes hollowed out and the blowgun glued back together and wrapped.  Sources I have on this style say this style can revert to old shapes of crookedness and if the glue loosens you have an air leak in the chamber.  I have tried this method and had a LOT of trouble getting the cane to split into even halves.  That is why I have the cane string post in the cave men only section.  (I have some leads to pursue on this now BTW) .  I have created shorter blow guns with this method and have no reservation about their function as of yet but they just do not look like an un-split blowgun to me. 
A LITTLE GRIT GOES A LONG WAY: Use some sand or flint chips to pour in a hollow end of blowgun stock then insert cane that has a hollow node section in it.  Spin the small diameter cane while keeping the blowgun stock still.  This is the process Archaic natives use dot make holes in banner stones using cane and flint chips.  For a banner stone you are looking at 200 + hours.  For a blow gun less than a half. 
SANDING & POLISHING: I glue a piece of sandpaper to a dowel slightly smaller than my smallest end.  I then work sanding magic.  I speculate whether pine pitch coating a similar stick could be dipped in sand and create the same aboriginal effect.  The Cherokee method of using cane to sand is something I will explore the next time I try this. 
The smoother your bore the longer your darts will last and the faster they will travel. 
It’s pretty simple, it just takes the effort.

Blow gun darts.  This is a lot like the difference between making bows and making arrows.  I had a fellow bowyer say to anyone who would listen, “making bows is the easy part; making arrows that takes skill.”
Blow gun darts are kind of like arrows.  Either it takes time or it takes skill.  Sometimes both. 
Shafts:  You can split out cane segments, black locust splints and then sand them to desired diameter.   I recommend you practice making darts with bamboo skewers.  They are cheap plentiful and get you going fast.  Besides they will be roughly the same consistency as a river cane BG dart.  Heat treat the tips of any dart to make them harder.
Milkweed dart: look at the picture below.  I go through successive routines of grab fluff, glue and wrap with thread and do it again a bit further down.  Over and over this occurs until you have fletched about 1/3 of the dart.   I use fletchtite glue and cotton thread.  The real trick is getting the fluff.  I use a set of tweezers to reach in and get small bundle of fluff out of a milkweed pod.  I use tweezers so the fluff does not open up.  I can then grip the fluff with my fingers and arrange in sort of a line up. 
Thistle: is the same way but instead of looking all fluffy like the milkweed darts do they look like they have annular rings.  The fluff is shorter and stiffer and I suppose that is the reason.
When done I like to use some colored thread.  It may not be historically accurate but boy it sure does make them look nice.  JMO.
The squirrel tail Dart is easy cheesy to make.  Skin a squirrel.  Take the tail hide off like you would a sock.  Trim off the bottom half inch.  Slide it down onto the shaft and then it will stop when the tail diameter gets too small.  Let this dry and then cut the tail and hair off flush with the end.  That way the tail dries real tight on the end before you cut it.  Thread wrap as before.  A spot of adhesive makes the tread knots stay put even if you tie a serving knot. 

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:18:26 pm »
dude... your awesome.  thanks!  do you have a pic of any of your blowguns?  im sooo gonna try this!  wonder if my patch of cane has any that big..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 04:24:18 pm »
Here is a thistle fletched blowgun dart (top) compared to a milkweed fletched dart (below)  I gave this one a flint tip by suggestion that is what the tiny "bird points" were really used for.  While i cannot dispute their use on blowguns I read an article in PA a few issues back where a fellla used bird points to penetrate a deer without any trouble.  I cannot see much use for putting a stone tip on a blowgun dart but I have not tested this like that fella did with the bird point arrows.  That was a good article by the way.

The other pic is just the tip of one of my blowguns,  I will post a blowgun later after I get the camera warmed up. 

thanks for the kind words folks that means a lot more than I would have anticipated.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 05:55:46 pm »
Awesome!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »

Swamp Monkey;
     Those are beautiful.  How are you applying the thistle?  Are you laying the thistle in your hand, and putting the string in a slit in the end of the dart, and rolling the dart, and finishing off by wrapping and pull through, or are you gluing piece by piece?
I watched a guy making them by rolling them in his hand, and it was quick, and beautiful when finished.  Less than a minute.  I tried one some time back, and it was no beauty, but it functioned quite well.  I want to try again, and practice a bit.  I have lots of thistle on my property in Montana. :P  I want to make a blow gun, for them, with a piece of 1/2 inch copper tubing in a piece of cane. 

Wayne

Wayne did I answer your question?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:20 pm »

Yes, you did, as well as those of others on here.  Very nice drawings also. ;)  Thanks.

Wayne

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 07:37:42 pm »
Has anyone ever tried or heard of a blow gun made from a sumac stem/branch?

It has a large pith that Native Americans would hollow out to use as a tap to collect maple sap. 

I though if you could straighten a long enough section and remove the pith it might work and not have to worry as much about the nodes inside tearing up the darts as much.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)