Author Topic: dogbane net, floats and weights  (Read 9550 times)

Offline swamp monkey

dogbane net, floats and weights
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »
This is a net made with one inch mesh measuring 3 feet by three feet.  It took well over 300 feet of cordage to be able to weave just this.  The floats are Water Tupleo (from the swollen butt) and we took real plummets to attach.   Attaching the plummets was the idea of an archeologist because that was what he said they were for.   I tied the plummet by trying an overhand knot around the section with the groove (near the top of the plummet)  A light bounce on the string and the plummet was out.  So I developed a cradle to hold the plummet.  Kinda makes me wonder if that is what the natives did. If attachment was so important A) I would not use a nicely polished plummet, b) I would make something with a hole in it and be confident in it staying where I placed it.  But I was not alive back in the Archaic period so I cannot say for sure. 

Regardless it was something I wanted to share.  enjoy. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:50:42 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: dogbane net, floats and weights
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:41:08 am »
I started making a cast net years ago and never got very far...and I was using store bought materials.  ::)  I can only imaging how much work goes into a totally abo net. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:42:59 am »
that is so awesome. ive been asked to replicate nets several times. my answer is always no. the amount of dogbane you prepared is incredible. did you do it by hand or drop spindle.? great work
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:06 am »
That is awesome. I'm with Pat.  The idea of a project like this is nice, but I'm sure mine would never get finished    :P  Congrats for staying with it!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:56 am »
 that look's like a heck of a lot of work. It's time consuming just repairing cast nets. The plummets I've seen used for nets all had grooves carved around one end for the cordage to lay in.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:18 am »
that is so awesome. ive been asked to replicate nets several times. my answer is always no. the amount of dogbane you prepared is incredible. did you do it by hand or drop spindle.? great work

The work was all hand work.  I have not learned to do drop spindle work.  I should mention that seven of us contributed cordage to this project.  We each made bundles about 20 feet at a time.  That would fit on the weaving stick nicely without being too fat. 

If I ever did another I would go with a larger mesh size!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:46 pm »
Wow ! Nice ! !  I am impressed. Thanks for sharing it.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:08:53 am »
 ;D  :o that is impressive i have made nets out of man made fibers but never tried to make it out of nettles or dogbane keep it up wish you luck

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:38:15 pm »
Drop spindles are easy to use and make I'm not sure how big of one you would need to make that style of cordage I have the mats to make some medium size ones. My wife and I crochet so she make some nice looking yarn from a drop spindle
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:26 pm »
that would be interesting to learn more about.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »

Skyarrow; 
     How about some pictures, and instructions on your spindle?  8)  Could you ? Hmmmm?  could you?  Hmmmm ?  huh, could you? ;D I know it is somewhat fairly simple.  I have seen quick glimpses of them being used in films.  Thanks.

Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:52 pm »
That looks great. I made a small net bag from dogbane once, so I can appreciate the work that went into it. It seemed to take forever to make enough cordage for just that small project.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.