Author Topic: Doglegged Stave  (Read 11475 times)

Offline Wasatchhawk

Doglegged Stave
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:35:01 am »
Yesterday I decided to remove the sapwood off the mulberry staves that I split out.  What a chore!  it was interesting to see the water squeeze out as I used the draw knife.

I don't know why I didn't notice before but this 74 inch stave has a dogleg in the last 14 inches of about 3" If I were to use this piece how would I lay out the pattern? following the grain I assume, then roughing it out and then heating and bending?

I decided to go as far as I can before meeting Dan.  That way I'll have a bunch of questions for him and possibly various staves in different states of development so he can show me the whole process.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 02:39:22 am by Wasatchhawk »
A Family that Preys together stays together!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Doglegged Stave
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:43:21 am »
Wasa,  I hope you sealed the back.Especially as wet as it is.  If not, do so ASAP or it will check.  After sealing, take her down to almost bow size, even to about 4" of floor tiller and let her rest for a month or so and see how dry she is. You could clamp her to a form and into a hot box for quicker results.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:57:00 am »
Yep I sealed it right after cutting and then after removing the sapwood.  Both ends and back.  But how do I layout the pattern with the dogleg in it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 02:03:39 am »
Follow the grain lines down the back. Leave the tips full width all the way out and shape when dry. Just reduce the thickness.    Can you take and post pics. They would help.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:48:03 am »
I have found that it sometimes helps in removing doglegs to follow the grain when laying out the bow, then cut out the back profile, leaving it thicker than wide, and take the crook out with heat then. After the thickness is reduced so that the limb is wider than it is thick, it hard to get side-to-side bends out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 04:45:50 pm »
I was taught to draw a line down the center of the crown of the stave, following the little tick marks of the grain.  Then you measure on either side of this line to lay out the bow.  Then you straighten it with heat and you have a bow with no grain running off the sides of the limbs.

Hillbilly, that is an interesting observation about leaving a stave as thick as it is wide when heatbending to remove a dogleg.  I never heard of that but it makes sense.  Probably makes it less likely to break or twist when you're cranking it straight.

What I'd probably do, is make a 60" bow out of that stave.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:40:59 pm »
Pictures?

Well an interesting thing happened to my camera.  Apparently  Taking them afield when its raining is not a good Idea.  But the first one survived hundreds of rainstorms but not the fall off the roller coaster.  The second one didn't even last one trip through the washer, can you believe that?

I just learned this week that even though the first one looks and acts dead, if you squeeze it just right It will take pictures 50% of the time.  now I just need to find my old cables to hook to the computer and I'llsend some of those pictures.

Great advice to follow the grain and rough it out keeping it thicker than wide.  I'll try that.

Randy

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 01:03:40 am »
So take 2 of each angle and post 50%.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 02:36:08 am »
Heres my first pile of shavings.  Turns out the stave is dog legged.  Turns out my busted camera only take a picture 20% of the time.  I only got two of the 10 shots I took. 

One other thing I noticed is the heart wood has a couple of ridges that run the length of the stave.  Do I have to scrape the sapwood off right down to the heart wood in the grooves? should I try to lay out the pattern avoiding the grooves?

I found Pat's explaination of measuring from each side and dividing by two to find the center since the splits generally follow the grain. 

Any advice on scraping down to the first heartwood ring since there are grooves in it?

Randy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 10:26:21 am »
To tell the truth, I like some character in my bows, I would keep the dogleg (and I don't like waiting for it to dry from steam bending :D).
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 10:26:44 am »
Whew! Excellent advice. Do I wish I had this site when I started. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 11:51:46 am »
I think I would start it like it is. ;) After you get it to brace height, you may want(or need) to bring that tip around so the string track good with a little heat bending.   Pat

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 12:31:29 am »
This has become a build along with photos.

I shaped out the stave today.  I used a pattern from Jawge's website. I'm sure I misunderstood and may have problems with this design.  It was interesting to see the grain on the back side.  I used Pat's advise to measure from either side to find the middle.  On the back there was one dark grain that was dead center and ran dead center the full length of the stave, except a curve near the knot on the fade out.

Here are some photos, both ends are doglegged from drying.

The Handle area is actually quite narrow because of the way the stave split.  There is also a pinknot mid-limb.
There is also a tiny twist in the stave.  I'm sure all of you who have years of experience would be able to see these things before even starting work on it.

Tomorrow I will work on straightening it a bit.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:38:54 am by Wasatchhawk »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 01:08:49 am »
You should use heat to bring the tips in line.  Both are going the same way and it would be a bear to brace that way. ;D   Pat

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 08:22:50 pm »
That's what I plan to do next, I'll steam them and then clamp them to bring them around, one at a time.  How much past center do you think I'll need to pull?