Author Topic: suggestions on an artist?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline recurve shooter

suggestions on an artist?
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:45:40 am »
ok for my fine arts survery class this semmester we have to do a biography and a summary of works of some relativly known artist. all year i have kind of ammused the teacher with off the wall, primitive archery or primitive skills twists on my projects. for example i did a basket quiver for the basket weaving section, a report on the deeper meaning of what we do, ect. our world is filled with amazing artists, to many to count, i know, but im trying to find someone that i could find some info on on the enternet, pics of whatever art they practice, ect. i was thinking maby an engraver, horn bow maker, scrimshaw artist, or as a last ditch effort maby some inovative designer/inventor such as samuel colt. i really cant come up with something off the wall and interesting for this one guys, any help is appriciated.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: suggestions on an artist?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:33:44 am »
How about James and Rebecca Parker...It don't get much more Innovative...Primitive...or Artistic than this pair....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:19 pm »
Well, I just happen to have a bachelor's degree in fine arts. I think I can help you out. Check out Norval Morrisseau, he's an old canadian indian/modern painter. The only thing primitive about his work is the subject matter. I think he would be a perfect subject for the report. Good luck, I'd love to know how it works out for you.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »
Are ANY artists "relatively known"?   I think you'll get as many artists' names as there are people who can name one.   ;D

First, pick a subject or medium, then google artists who paint that subject or paint with that medium.

Just a few ideas on the "primitive" side, there are "relatively known" artists who specialize in stone smoking pipes, Native American Pottery, Native American flutes, and Native American Costumes (for movies).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:26:57 am »
thanks guys, i'll check out your suggestions and see what i can come up with. i would love to use most or all of you guys, which would end up being about a 4 hundred page report (which is fine with me, i love writing) but teach said it had to be someone that is well known by more than just our small comutity. if i cant come up with anything els i'll just do sam colt or whoever is behind remington.
lets just shoot it

Offline iowabow

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:10:49 pm »
Look up Wayne Justus....western artist, does nice pictures of cowboys and elk.  I posed for him last summer at the South Dakota Artist's Ride.  And that man can flat stick to a horse!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 10:18:02 pm »
LETTERS AND NOTES ON THE
MANNERS, CUSTOMS, AND CONDITIONS OF
NORTH AMERICAN INDIANS
by George Catlin
(First published in London in 1844-  Famous for it's paintings) wrote and illustrated a 2 volume book while traveling to document many NA tribes. One of my top 5 of all time. The plates are mesmerizing, with descriptions and comments on the Natives he painted. Hiis narrative of his travels,makes you wish you were there.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 10:08:42 pm »
I especially enjoy the pictures he did while he was at Fort Union at the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone Rivers.  I've stood there and moved back and forth until the perspective  in the painting matches the view.  It's kinda a neat feeling to know I am standing within feet of where he stood while working. 

Side note:  many of the illustrations of individual items such as war clubs, clothing, decorations, knives, guns, etc are in museums.  I've seen pics of the artifacts today next to reproductions of the original paintings and they are PERFECT in detail.  Because he did not romanticize or exaggerate or take "poetic license", you can take his work as fact for reproducing period equipment, and know you are being accurate. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.