Author Topic: Got off to a bad start  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Got off to a bad start
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:08:03 am »
I posted this on the Alabama Stickbow site, thought you guys might get a chuckle out of it. It happened to me two days ago, you can't make this stuff up.

What a morning!

Got up real early, planning to be in my tree well before daylight. As I start to pull into the field across from the graves I see a truck parked on the side of the road about 100 yds up the hill. Trespassers! I walk up to confront them. Halfway there a dog barks at me, coon hunters, I am still going to see what's going on.

First I am confronted by a 150lb rottweiler, fortunately he is friendly, a little too much so I discover later on.There is another mixed breed dog as well. When I get to the truck I can see it is in the ditch, not parked, with a very drunk redneck idiot at the helm.

Turns out the driver had caught a wild rabbit which turned out to be blind( I am not making this up) and was holding it on the front seat. Apparently the rabbit got loose, the driver made a dive for it, lost control of his truck and landed in the ditch. His truck was sitting on the oil pan and rear differential, driver side wheels on the road and the passenger side suspended in the air. He asks me to drive him to town to get his brother but I told him I would get him out of the ditch

Well, I keep a snatch strap under my truck seat to pull drunk guys, with blind rabbits for pets, out of ditches.

I back my truck up to his, fish my strap out from under the seat, and get ready to hook it up. At this point the rottweiler decided to consummate our brief friendship and is on my backside making an attempt. I knock him off and try to complete my work, here he comes again. Mr. drunk says"he is just happy to see you". I kinda' figured that out for myself.

Anyway, I get loose from the amorous rottweiler and finish my hook-up. Mr. drunk says he doesn't think I can pull him out, don't guess he has seen an F250 in action. I snatch his truck back up on the road easily.

I get unhooked with out incident, the dog has apparently left to find another victim.

Now the guys truck won't crank but he says he has an extra battery in the bed of his truck. He gets the battery and gives it another try. I was never so happy to hear a truck crank in my life. Of course the dogs had vanished and the guy spent a while yelling for their return. After about 10 minutes of yelling he drove off.

I go back to the field, pick up my flintlock, gear and head to the woods. I still made it up a tree before daylight. I was there, knew every deer within a mile or two had found better places to be, but I thought I would stick it out. My stand was only a couple hundred yards from where the truck was stuck.

About 9:45 the wind shifted toward the fence line and I thought I heard a deer run off below me. At 11:00 I heard a house dog bark on John's land west of me. A little later I heard what I thought was a deer come off the hill and ease through the thicket out of sight.

I got down at 11:30 and was greeted by a white pit bull, a border collie, a fiest and a mixed bred. I slipped away from them without further incident.

What a morning

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Got off to a bad start
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:20:28 am »
 ;D ;D Yep I have had some morning like that,well not just like that but close. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:03:22 am »
...and you kept your composier?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:03 am »
May have been a bad start, but you'll never forget that, I'm sure!  Good story.
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:43:05 am »
You should have asked for the blind rabbit in exchange for pulling him out of the ditch.  At least you would have had some meat to bring home from your hunting trip.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:27:19 pm »
Cool story....I think there is a song about a blind rabbit....or was it a "white rabbit"??? ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:00:24 pm »
........but did you kill anything ??  ;)
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:34 pm »
 That's funny, Eric. You have to cherish a morning like that. That kind of Karma is out of you hands, you're just along for the ride.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:25 pm »
 Crazy !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:08:08 pm »
Where you from Eric? Sounds like you are in the same place I hunt, drunks, dogs, and no deer. Except at my place we also have random kids walking through, and of course they just have to stop and ask what you are doing, and the gun hunter whose on state land trying to convince you that you are trespassing on his great uncle joe's property at the same time he's asking you to hold his beer so he can call the authorities on you. Let's not forget about the lady that doesn't believe in hunting, so she feels the need to go for a walk with her 4 year old nephew who just happened to get a drum for his birthday. I almost forgot the guy who feels the need to put a stand up 40 yards from yours, who has four sons who all hunt...40 yards on the other side of you. And then there's the guy whose to lazy to walk to his stand, so he rides his four wheeler through the woods at 9o'clock in the morning. Yes all true stories, those are just a few of my hunting adventures here in the wonderful state of Michigan.  I feel your pain Eric.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Lombard

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »
Eric, you have me laughing right out loud. That is the problem with those big dogs, if they get sexually aroused you might not be able to do much about it, but hey at least he was showing you some love, and not flesh tearing teeth. :D

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:00:57 pm »
But what happened to the blind rabbit ??? ??? >:D
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:08 pm »
lol, reminds me of the movie christmas vacation and "snot"
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 10:30:18 am »
The land I was on is actually a hunting paradise, 350 acres of hills and hollows, cut over, grown up pastures and hardwoods. It is surrounded by about 500 acres of corn and soybeans on one side and 1000 acres of the same on the other side. The best part is a friend and I have exclusive hunting rights to the land. It belongs to a good friend and he lets us develop it to enhance the wildlife potential.

The downside if the isolated county road that snakes along the lower cropland. This road and cropland is a magnet for every lowlife, road poacher in the area. When I hunt close to this road there may be as many as a dozen vehicles creeping down the road 30 minutes before sundown.

The game wardens tried robo deer to try to catch the poachers but I found out from talking to one, the first lowlife to see robo deer alerts every other lowlife by cell phone where it is and to stay away.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:13 pm »
Good story Eric,but ,like some of the others,it does'nt surprise me at all,thinkin' back on what I've witnessed through the years.But fortunately,most of mine occurred while duck huntin' public land.It really is amazing how many "nuts" are out there,and carrying some sort of weapon. ;)  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas