Author Topic: Cross Nocks  (Read 11446 times)

Offline Loki

Cross Nocks
« on: May 13, 2007, 07:45:02 pm »
Anyone use/tried cross nocks on there arrows? I was reading about them in Secrets of the Warbow (Soar) and there supposedly to enable speed in shooting.The book quotes the Arundel inventory of 1422 what says,

XV arrows of grey goose with duckbill heads crossnocked of a sort.
1 broadhead hooked arrow the head dagged,feather with peacock,cross nocked,bound in iii places in gold (fancy ones!)
1 sheath of XVII arrows of grey goose,crossnocked,V heads lack (five without heads).

Anyone tried them?
Durham,England

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
Re: Cross Nocks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 07:23:36 am »
Hello
Isn't that referring to the horn reinforcement?
Speed shooters to it but they only 'ping' from the chin from what I've seen.  I wouldn't fancy shooting a double nocked arrow from a heavy bow, if it went it would be like a dry loose.  Bit dodgy I'd say.
Jeremy

Offline Loki

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:29:59 pm »
I dont think so,its on page 75 if you have the book Jeremy.
Soar sources the book 'Academy of Armory' from the 17thCE written by Randal Holmes.
There's references to Fletches 'Slitting it' (putting the horn in for the nick)? and immedietly following this,a 'cross slit',making the nick of the arrow.
The Horn refered to is the protective piece some 2" in length that is slipped into the heel of the shaftment and glued into position as protection against the power of the string immedietly following release.
I understand that bit but
With the deep cut,or slit,for the horn piece made and the horn glued in position,a cross slit at right angles was then cut for the string groove.Was it perhaps occasional practice for the horn slit to be left open at its top so that when the string groove was cut,a cross nock was formed?

Durham,England

SimonUK

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:50:26 pm »
In Bickerstaffe's 'Medieval War Bows, A Bowyer's Thoughts', there are some pictures of the horn inserts from the Mary Rose. The inserts clearly show the string nock cut into them. So they must have been flush with the end of the shaft.

That's not to say all arrows were like this though.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 12:53:09 am »
I guess I am not familiar with the terminology. I didn't know what you were referring too.  I make all my self nocks this way.  I wrapped these with sinew for looks, but I have shot many arrows with the horn reinforcement as the only support. Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Loki

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 07:53:50 pm »
My arrows are like that too,but i'm wondering 'if' there's two grooves for the string like a X,?
Durham,England