Author Topic: has there been a build along on grinding turkey feathers  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

has there been a build along on grinding turkey feathers
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:16:38 pm »
I have three shed left wing Sandhill crane primaries and want to use them for arrow fletchings.  I have used the Indian strip method on turkey feathers that Hawk Huston showed me.  For me that method works great except on some feathers some of the feather gets wasted.  It looks like there is enough length on these feathers to get three fletches off each one.  I think Pappy grinds his turkey feathers but have never watched him do it.  Any advice will be appreciated.  Thanks, Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: has there been a build along on grinding turkey feathers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:20:21 am »
Joe, if you rehydrate the feathers some they should strip easier and more successfully. You can put them in a zip lock baggie with a damp(not wet) paper towel for a few hours that should do the trick.
  Pappy has a special set up for splitting and grinding feathers. When I do it I cut the feather to length  and use a utility knife to split the quill then use a straight fletch clamp to hold the feather while grinding it on a belt sander. A sanding block works as well but is a bit slower.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:26 am »
I use a sharp Olfa knife to split the quill, and then I cut the feather to length. I put the feather in a straight Jo-Jan fletching jig clamp, and then use my belt sander with 220 grit to flatten the quill. I have a big dust collection system on my belt sander. Be very careful, the dust from grinding feather quills is NOT good for you.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:42:24 pm »
Fellows thanks for the help.  Funny that in my stage of making arrows that I have never tried to grind the feathers flat.  Back in the old days (50s) when I was learning to hunt with a bow there was Herter's and you could buy about anything for hunting, fishing, or trapping.  I bought feathers from them.  We had no turkeys and goose wings were about all that was available.  I do have lots of feathers and a large belt sander, just no straight clamp.  I laugh at the arrows I used to hunt with.  No two ever alike with some of the ugliest points ever imagined.  Killed just about everything we had to hunt except an antelope with them.  Used to just tie the feathers on with fishing line and when they came off just tied on another one!  Am planning a Texas hog, deer, and turkey hunt with Hawk Huston in Oct. so getting ready.  Still to warm to hunt elk here at hope but have all those arrows ready.  Pat some day you need to come to Wyo. and hunt with Hawk.  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:13:05 pm »
That I should, Joe. It is on my bucket list. Tell Mike hello for me.
You can make a simple jig with 2 thin slats of wood or sheet metal and some sort of clamp like was used way back in those 1950s.  ;)Just press the feather between the two slats with the quill along the bottom edge so you can safely grind the quill without grinding your fingers.
Get Pappy to send you pics of his set up. You'll love his ingenuity!  ;) 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 03:49:36 pm »
If you look around at Wally world you can find a large spring clip for holding Potato chip bags closed. Makes a fine feather clamp. > Dan

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹