Author Topic: Snakey arrows  (Read 12307 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Snakey arrows
« on: May 10, 2007, 10:53:21 am »
I want to make some snakey arrows.  I know Pat B has a few and I am sure some of the rest of you do. How about showing us some pictures, and tell us what you think makes a good snakey arrow.  Where do you put the cock feather, and do you spine them similar to your regular arrows? Thanks Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snakey arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:42:45 pm »
Justin. There are 2 types, shooters and wall hangers. With sourwood I look for the appropriate shoot. They are as hard to find as a good snaky stave. I spine them just like any other arrow. The cock feather goes on the stiffest side.
   You can probably create a snaky arrow with a little heat.  As long as the nock and point line up and the arrow spins true it will fly.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:14:07 pm »
Pat, do you need about 4" at the point end to be strait, so it points at the target when you are at full draw? Or how about 6" at the back so the fletches are strait?  Does the center need to line up with the tips, like the handle on a bow? The tips of a horse shoe line up if you look from the right perspective.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:42:13 pm »
Wait, you shoot them?  I always thought those were just for show. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 05:48:44 pm »
There are 2 on my card. One is for show, the other(red fletching) shoots very well.
  Justin. Most of the snaky ones I've done were only snaky at the point end. The snakes can start right behind the point. The fletching end has to be somewhat straight because the fletching are for steering. When done, I put the point on my finger and sight down the shaft while spinning the shaft from the nock. You can see whether the plane of the shaft is true. If the point and nock are in the same plane, what's in between can be quite crooked. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:07:17 am »
The majority of my Red Osier arrows are snakey to some degree.  It is rare that I get one that turns out perfectly straight, though it does happen.  As a result, I have quite a bit of experience making snakey arrows, and I can say for a fact that they fly great!

I start by hand straightening my osier shoots as they dry.  This removes any large bends in the shaft, but leaves the small 'snakey' bends.  When doweling, I use a scraper (rather than a planer, which is what I use to reduce the straight shafts) to reduce them to the desired diameter.  The point end needs to be straight for at least two inches to allow for proper point alignment.  Since the point end is the lower, or larger, end of the shoot, this part is usually pretty straight.  The smaller end of the shoot, which I use as the nock end, is usually where the snakeyness is.  The nock end can be quite snakey and still fly just fine.  A conventional fletching jig won't work, so I tie my feathers on, and use a spiral wrap to hold them in place, so they conform quite well to the curves in the shaft.  As long as the nock, the point, and the center of the shaft spin true, it will probably fly straight.  I don't use a spine tester; I spine by hand.  As far as nock and cock feather orientation, I sight down the shaft and decide based on what looks/feel right.  I'm sure expeience plays into the equation, as I have made quite a few of these arrows, but it isn't difficult to get the hang of it.

I don't have a camera, but I'll see if I can borrow one and get some pics of my snakey arrows.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 01:09:31 am »
JD, we shoot bows.  It is hard to do that if the arrow is hanging on the wall.   I am working on a snake bow. I want snake arrows with snake cresting to shoot from it.  I think it would be bad juju to use dowels.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 10:11:53 am »
Justin, I'll look through some of my bundles of sourwood and see if there are some snaky ones in there. If so I'll send you at least 1. They are as hard to come by as good snaky bow staves.   Pat

duffontap

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 03:41:39 am »
JD, we shoot bows.  It is hard to do that if the arrow is hanging on the wall.   I am working on a snake bow. I want snake arrows with snake cresting to shoot from it.  I think it would be bad juju to use dowels.  Justin

You what with the what now?  The only word I understood was 'dowels.' :)

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 06:47:04 pm »
Wait, you shoot them?  I always thought those were just for show. 

J. D. Duff
Arrows on walls kill no game. Simple enough? ??? Justin  ;D

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 06:55:48 pm »
When you said 'kill game' you really lost me.  I have no experience with this Justin.  Perhaps this year. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 07:08:15 pm »
Come down and see me and we WILL fix that problem. I can get you a shot under 15 yards at a coyote, and we can shoot all the jackrabbits you can stand.  Jackrabbits can be from 6" to warbow range if you prefer.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 02:44:25 pm »
I'm on my way.   ;D

J. D. Duff