Author Topic: two slings  (Read 11988 times)

Offline swamp monkey

two slings
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:40:31 pm »
One was a simple leather project with no big deal about it.  The other was a stinging nettle cordage project that required some finger weaving.  I saw one in a photo collection from the Smithsonian and had to try it.  It took about 60 feet of cordage.  Both throw fine as far as I can tell.  They can more than triple or quadruple the distance I can throw a rock by hand!

Accuracy takes practice.

Offline bryan irwin

Re: two slings
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:48:48 pm »
that's cool.
bryan irwin

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:13:10 am »
I used to make slings when I was a boy.  I was pretty good with them too.  May have to put some together again.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:17:09 am »
accuracy takes practice?  heck, just getting your release down takes practice! lol.  i still havent found a suitable place to practice slingin  but nice slings!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:13:43 pm »
Thats something I wanna do in the next weeks. When I was a boy I made one, but didn`t get the skill how to use it. May be its getting better 40 years later.
Regards Uwe

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 01:33:02 pm »
you are making some great stuff. keep it up.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:47:44 pm »
I made a few slings many years ago when I was getting frustrated with making bows. Mine were made out of scraps of leather, old show laces, or woven cotton string. My little brother and I got pretty good at flinging rocks across fields or into lakes. I was able to sling those stones about 100 yards. I have no idea if that's good or not, but I was impressed. Of course, accuracy was a different matter ;)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:17:10 pm »
I've ran across numerous threads mentioning the use of Stinging Nettles as a source of cordage.  How/when does one gather this plant and yet avoid the very real hassle of the stinging aspect?

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:52:33 pm »
Collecting stinging nettle needs to be done in September or October but before the second frost.  Here is what I do.  I touch the stalk with the palm of my hand and that is the ONLY part of my body I allow to touch the stalk.  ANY other part of my body and those little trichomes will poke acid into my skin making me itch.  The trick is our palms have thicker skin than any other part of our arms. 

Once the stalks are cut I let them dry and then remove leaves.   Once dry you can store until  ready to remove the pithy center and work your cord.  Stinging nettle does not do well with rot and will decompose quickly, so getting it before it goes bad is vital. 

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:25:22 pm »
So once it's been cut, dried and de-leafed the acid/irritation is gone?  Thanks
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:31:12 am »
Yep.  When de-leafing I sometimes wear a leather glove as I shuck leaves off.  That keeps the crock between my thumb and forefinger form getting some acid.  After that no worries about itching.  I don't know what is out there for processing nettle but I have found it easier to simply use my pocket knife to split the dried stalk and then pop the pith off like you would dogbane.  No crushing of the stalk needed.  Once the fibers are removed from the pith and clearly dry, they store very well as a bundle or in a box.  best of luck.

Oh and if you are like me you will take that first grab of stinging nettle while holding your breath.  Then when the pain does not come you will be surprised and happy.   Enjoy!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:14:51 am »
Super cool!  I learn something new on here everyday.

I have always been leery of Nettles after I "found" a patch as a young kid.  I had access to a lot of woods, fields, creeks to roam when I was young and would spend most everyday out roaming and just enjoying the things boys enjoy.  One particular day, a VERY hot one, I was dang near naked in just a pair of cut off blue jean shorts...my younger brother and I were running hog wild through the creek bottoms and I started to wade through a fairly thick patch of "weeds" as I raced my brother.  Long story short, that patch of weeds was Nettles and by the time the stinging/itching registered I was so deep into this thicket that there was no short way out.  I was left itching and stinging over my entire bare belly, back, legs and arms...it made or than an impression and it became one of those FEARED plants during my childhood  ;D

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 03:50:31 pm »

According to the green pharmacy, if you do get the sting, use something to crush the leaves, and use the juice on the sting.  It is supposed to nullify the sting. ;)  I have them in Montana, and there were some by my Workshop, and I didn't know what they were, but it didn't take long to find out.  I mowed them down with the weed eater! ;D  Didn't know they had any useful fiber.  I know that in certain times of the year, they are edible.  I weed eat them! ;D >:D

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 04:02:24 pm »

When I was a little kid, my Friends and I used to make slings out of old leather shoe, and boot tongues.  Don't know how accurate we were but as well as I can remember I think we could come pretty close to what we were throwing at, but our main goal was just distance, and how large of a rock we could fling out there.  It was fun.  I have been thinking about making some again.  Got lots of room, and rock in Montana. ;) At the huckleberry festival in Trout Creek, Mt., I met a Japanese woman who was doing fingerweaving, and she said she would teach me how to finger weave.  So I will have to look her up, and then see if I can make a woven sling.  I also have to get another book on Macrame, and try to make one that way also.

Wayne

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 12:45:09 am »
i tried making one of these a few years ago....... lets just say last year we finally replaced the largest window on our house >:D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what