Author Topic: osage question?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline bushboy

osage question?
« on: September 25, 2013, 06:27:56 pm »
Hey all,just started my second stave bow.I have it bout 5/8 thick save the fades and handle areas.was wondering if I should try to floor tiller at this point or go about straighting the. stave?also I tried to cut it out so any design is doable with what I have.the handle is 1" thick at the moment and the stave is 62" long and 1-3/4 wide up to the last 12",the to 3/4.if I have made any big boo-boo's to this point ,I'm not sure?any designs or other pointers would be great!there is quite a bit of twist that the pics don't really show! Thx's!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline echatham

Re: osage question?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:38:29 pm »
the thinner your limbs the easier to heat straighten.  i like to get them bending a wee bit before i get out the heat gun, but you probably could do it at this point.  i nifty trick to get the twist out, is to put the bow in a vice, and put a crescent wrench on the limb (i use leather to pad the jaws so i don't damage the back.)  then hang a bucket from the handle of the wrench.  heat up the area to be untwisted till its to hot to hold your hand on it, but not discolored, and then add water to the bucket until it straightens out. remember it will spring back a bit so take it a little bit farther than straight.  leave the weight applied to the limb until it is room temperature, or at least just warm.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »
Thank's for the great advice echatham!I'm a board bender so starting off with something so out of wack is a bit daunting!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »
I use a similar method except I use a pipe wrench padded by a heavy leather work glove to protect from the jaws on the wrench and hang a 1 gallon milk carton filled with water before I even begin to heat. Weight  is placed where needed with a chair, stool, or built up boxes so that the limb will not bend toward the floor but only twist when heated. Heat a 4-6" area at a time and you will see it untwist when the correct amount of heat is applied. No guessing as to when you think it might be hot enough. You could easily get the twist out at current dimensions, just go slow and don't scorch the wood. Oh, and only heat the belly.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:34:25 pm »
I get mine down pretty close before I straighten.  The less wood, the easier and safer it is to bend.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:50:09 pm »

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.