Author Topic: Frontiersmen a Narrative  (Read 1967 times)

Lombard

Frontiersmen a Narrative
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:33:27 am »
The Frontiersmen, written by Allan Eckert was given me as a gift this Christmas past. Having just finished the book, I can report that it has been a long time since being so completely engrossed in a book. It is an amazing glimpse into the settlement of the Northwest Territory, and life on the frontier in the period bettween 1755 and 1836. The story revolves around the Frontiersman Simon Kenton, and that of Tecumseh the Shawnee Chief of lore.

There are many other historical figures that are involved in the novel, not the least of which was Daniel Boone. Rugged men boldly entering an unknown frontier, that inevitably changed the face of the United States. In this narrative you get to see both perspectives, that of the Indians, and that of the European settlers. It will be discovered that atrocities abounded on both sides, some acts of retaliation and vengeance, while others were simply cold blooded acts of pure evil.

This book can not be recommended enough. My bet is after reading you will come away awed and armed with an up close historical perspective that reshaped the face of America.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:37:42 am by Lombard »