Author Topic: My first attempt at knapping  (Read 2291 times)

Offline WalkingWolf

My first attempt at knapping
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:09:16 pm »
I first want to thank all that have provided knapping advice and know how.  I have read quite a bit and finally made an initial attempt at knapping.  I do not have any suitable "rock" at this time so got a few soda and beer bottles.  The photo (sorry for the bad phone photo) attached (hope it uploads -- I've never uploaded to a forum before) is what was left from about 6 beer bottles and three soda bottles.  It was a great experience to finally get the tools in my hands and start breaking something.  My 10yo son and I got started and simply played around with getting a feel for how the tools worked.  He lasted about an hour then drifted off to other pursuits.  I continued and after a few hours I had three objects that I'm not ashamed to say I made.  ;D  I have enjoyed the forum tremendously and have learned a great deal.  Maybe one day I'll actually have something to contribute.  Take care.

Offline bryan irwin

Re: My first attempt at knapping
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:50:47 pm »
looking good find you an old toilet tank and go at it.
bryan irwin

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:33:43 pm »
Looks very good, especially for your first try.  If you have a glass shop near by a lot of times they'll give you scrap pieces for free.  Just make sure you get plate glass and not tempered.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:41:06 pm »
 Nothing wrong with those. All three with a well placed shot, mounted on a stick would bring something down.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WalkingWolf

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:53:57 pm »
Thanks guys -- Appreciate the kind words.  Will take those two suggestions in as well -- Can't ever have enough "practice" material when getting started.  Will try to locate a "reliable" provider of stone.  Have read so many articles on what not to buy and what to watch out for I'm paranoid that I'll end up with a box of castoffs.  Any suggestions??

thanks
WalkingWolf

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:36:05 am »
Look alot better than my first attempts. I still like to knock a point outa toilet tank occasionally. keep at it. It gets better and easier.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:21:05 am »
keep at it. youre on the right track. cool to hear your son was interested too.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:31 am »
Look alot better than my first attempts. I still like to knock a point outa toilet tank occasionally. keep at it. It gets better and easier.  '  Frank

X2 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 11:39:25 am »
As far as a reliable provider of stone, the guys on ebay are a safe bet.  You might also want to try looking at the rocks at your local "landscape materials" yard.  I have purchased lots of knappable rock at these places, for cheap.

The best stone, however, can only be gotten by becoming part of a flintknapping group and asking those guys.  If you don't want to spend any money, they will usually let you pick though the flakes on the ground... and take all you want.  You can also trade for stone on this forum and others.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »
sparrow, what part of the tiolet tant do ya use,I havn't seen any pointsmade from one, got a pic?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:32 pm »
Johnstone (toilet porcelain) is really cheap but not the greatest stuff in the world.  Break up the tank - not the bowl.  It can be knapped but you'll be better off trying some raw flint or jasper, trust me. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:31 pm »
Johnstone (toilet porcelain) is really cheap but not the greatest stuff in the world.  Break up the tank - not the bowl.  It can be knapped but you'll be better off trying some raw flint or jasper, trust me. ;D
[/qu   ote]                                                                                                                                                                                               thank's, just asked, I've seen alot of people mention using it, even if I have to buy it obsidian is only $1.00 a pound, no ready access to flint, like to try it, and I cooked some jasper but havn't tryed it yet
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹