Author Topic: Spiro cedar deer mask replica  (Read 17230 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Spiro cedar deer mask replica
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:45:58 pm »
Here is a Spiro mask I have had around the shop for about three years in various stages of completion.  It is now done and hanging on the wall.  I saw the actual artifact at a temp. display of mound builder art at the St. Louis Art Museum.   Hero Hawk and Hand.  It was really smaller than I thought and it really is not a mask.  Likely this was a head dress piece.  It is too small to cover much of the face and there are no eye holes.  The eyes, ear spools and mouth had mussel shells in them originally.  I do not know what kind so I just winged it. 

Has anyone else tried to make any Native American masks?  I would love to see them and know how you made yours.

Offline wildman

Re: Spiro cedar deer mask replica
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:16:50 pm »
I have a book (The World or the American Indian) put out by Nat.Geo. It has an article on easteren woodland mask, it shows a mask being carved in a standing tree. Pretty neat article. I really like your mask .
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:32:46 am »
Great artwork, would love to see a close up on details!
Frank from Germany...

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:57 pm »
wild man can you provide the info on that book?  Sounds like a good one to find. 

medicine wheel,  Let me know what you are interested in and I will gladly provide it.  other views, specs etc.  Pleased to share.

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:53:49 pm »
Till now, I only had the idea. I like these masks very much. The Westcoast carvings as well as the big canoes, the houses, the complete woodwork of the Natives living there is very impressive. I have the only book in german available and some day when I got the correct wood I`ll try to carve a mask or some more.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:56:36 pm »
The whole thing is 11 and 1/2" tall 6 " wide.  Ears stick out 1" each and are 2 1/2" tall.  nose is 1 1/2" wide at the base.  Eyes are 1X 3/4"; mouth is 1 1/4X 3/4".  The ear spools may be a bit too small but I made them 1/2" dia.

The original mask is pictured below.  If there is anything else you want to know I will be glad to provide it.  I may have some things off.  This was the best I could do with only a photo. 

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 08:56:17 am »
Hey swamp,I went up to cherokee N.C, this summer to study their baskets and seen a lot of wooden masks.There is a book called the native americans,shows a lot of artifacts including masks.Also tht is a nice replica you made.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:45 pm »
Hey swamp,I went up to cherokee N.C, this summer to study their baskets and seen a lot of wooden masks.There is a book called the native americans,shows a lot of artifacts including masks.Also tht is a nice replica you made.

I found several books online by this name.  do you know the authors?  Sounds interesting.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 07:04:37 pm »
I have a book (The World or the American Indian) put out by Nat.Geo. It has an article on easteren woodland mask, it shows a mask being carved in a standing tree. Pretty neat article. I really like your mask .

Thanks fellas.  That stuff makes the heart smile.

Is that book you reference good for inspiring craftsmen like ourselves or is it more of a history of the people and their customs?

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 08:12:06 pm »
Hey swamp,the book the native americans is written by Collin F.Taylor and William C.Sturtevant.It is a real interesting book with a lot of pictures.All kinds of masks.

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:14:41 am »
Nice mask Swamp Yeti.  I made this one a few years back...

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:00:19 am »
Ooooooooooh!

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »
I made these for display last year,,7 clans of the Cherokee,Made out of red cedar
Paint Clan

Bird Can

Potato Clan

Deer Clan
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/wall5834/DSCF2347800x600.jpg
Long Hair Clan

Wolf Clan

Blue Clan
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 08:53:19 pm »
oops..1 more  Deer Clan
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 05:04:54 pm »
Those are some nice masks I have one I am working on it's not made of wood :) I am not sure if it was really used to make as a mask but il post it when I get off work it is made from a cow pelvic it's not finished but il show you what I have so far

Sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995