Author Topic: curious about a possible backing material.  (Read 3137 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
curious about a possible backing material.
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:10:23 am »
I have been reading on sinew backing is it possible to use something like nylon fishing string broken down and unraveled as a backing? i use it for a lot of thing and it is readily available at wal mart. just trying to figure out if it is possible or even if it would work?
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: curious about a possible backing material.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:27:28 am »
I'm sure it would work with a compatable glue but I think you could find a better option.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:46:24 pm »
I think/have read that canvas backing is a great way to keep your bow safe, is generally available at fabric stores, and is compatible with Wood glue like TB.

Matt
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »
ok here's another one i see a lot of fiberglass strips (hard) being used what about this fiberglass soft strip like tape that my dad uses on his one man boats. he gets it at home depot .it is 8mil thick and acts like duct tape when wet with the resin. how could you use that on a board bow and would it give it any strength or not.
doc