Author Topic: Tiller tool survey/opinions  (Read 7557 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Tiller tool survey/opinions
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:04:29 pm »
I was wondering how many of you incorperate a tiller tool when you are tillering--I'm referring to any type of short block (usually around 4 inches long) that is run up and down the belly side of a bow while nearly full-drawn on a tillering stick. The purpose being to help determine where more wood needs to be removed, or to indicate where a limb is flat. I have occasionally used a home-made one, but tend to think it can be inaccurate or even misleading with a bow that has a back that is some places crowned and other places flat or dipping.
All opinions welcomed,
Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tiller tool survey/opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:11:43 pm »
I use one if the stave is flat.  If it has character, it doesn't work as well.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:15:09 pm »
I use a tillering gizmo, but I build mostly board bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:28:38 pm »
i use a tillering gizmo
but i also like to use digital micrometer and measure eevery three inches the thickness of each limb
i find,for me,this to be a better way of doing it
but if its got character to it,whether it be snakiness or roller coaster,it doesnt work well to use a tillering gizmo
for them staves i like to just have the wife take a pic of me drawing the bow to a predetermined length and
then analyze it on the computer  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:30:05 pm »
my tiller tools include my room mate, a mirror, and my eyes.  I dont use a tillering tree or stick so I dont use any kind of blocks.

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:47:38 pm »
I use one but unless it's a straight profile bow made from dimensional lumber, you can't follow it blindly in my opinion but a valuable tool nonetheless.
Nate Danforth

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:54:48 pm »
I have started using a smallish, maybe 4" whetstone.  I had been using a credit/gift card, but I found that it was so thin that it could easily track at an angle and be misleading.  This whetstone is maybe half and inch wide, so I think it gives me a better indication of where I have flat spots or too much bend.  Of course it isn't a fail safe, but it's a good start.  I like these other folks' micrometer idea, but I don't have one.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:28:54 pm »
i dont use the pencil in mine
i just have a bock of wood thats true(truley flat on all sides)
i just run that along the limb and pay attention to the gap
no pencil to wear or marks to worry about
but ya gotta remember where ech spot tht needs work is
but i still like my micrometer better  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:45:25 pm »
For anyone that is interested in Eric's Gizmo thread it is located at the top of the "How To" page.  I don't always use Eric's gizmo while tillering but when I have problems seeing tiller in a difficult bow I use it. I think it is a great tool for selfbow building. When I started building bows I would use a 6" plastic ruler to check tiller.
  I have also made a centering tool...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:02:17 pm »
Pat, I had missed Eric Krewson's post, thanks for mentioning that. I tend to agree with above posts. I think it works great on with a board or a square-ish stave, but the last couple stave bows have really pitted my eye against my brain. Thanks
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline tronman

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:03:58 pm »
I like that centering tool. Might have to make me one.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:48:28 pm »
I use the edge of my cab. scraper to see the gap when I'm on a long string with a tiller stick.
If I am at a character spot I use it and a pencil to mark a straight line on the side of the bow with the bow relaxed then hold the straight edge to see the bend when its on the stick.
After i get to brace height  I use a short string on a tillering tree and stand back for a view that takes in the whole picture.
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline aaron

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:22 pm »
i use a cabinet scraper as a gague, but instead of holding it right on the belly, i hold it up to lines previously drawn on the sides.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 12:03:41 am »
Aaron, that is a technique that has been around for a long time but you very rarely see it used. Could you take pics of the process next time you use it. Might be very helpful to lots of folks here.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 07:50:11 am »
    I've tryed tilling tools twice through the years. And always go back you useing my eye. If you have that perfect stave maybe. I can't speak for board bows I never built one. I seams sence there more uniform it would work. But not on a stave very well. There not for me. Plus I don't like to put any excese stress on my limbs by locking it down each time as I check my tiller. Exture stress on your limbs will help add exture string follow to your bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING