Author Topic: scouting stalking help please.  (Read 6781 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

scouting stalking help please.
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:24:57 am »
i am new to hunting with a bow all i have done is squirrel and have had no luck. but i was wondering if there was a way that i could practice on normal animals like pets or squirrels. any tips or hints are appreciated. will take pics of anything i can

Offline iowabow

Re: scouting stalking help please.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:40:33 am »
With deer season gone it would be a good time to take photos. Find an area like a park or woods that has public access and practice getting close with the camera to take pictures. Try this with deer . First check the wind direction make sure you are down wind second move toward the animal only when it is eatting or looking another direction or when it is moving. Never move toward a deer when its ears are aimed in your direction. If it is available use terrain to conceal you location. Try to place a large tree between you and the animal as you walk up or pick a path that has the lowest elevation. sometimes I have walk up on deer in the morning by placing the sun at my back so the deer has to look into to the sun and is blinded and this works during sunset also.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:32:03 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:54 am »
iowabow has good advise
only thing i would add would be wear natural colors,stick to the shaddows as much as possible too
oh and practice practice practice

i do photo safaris just for fun in the summer months,helps when it comes to hunting season
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:41:36 pm »
Many places that have hogs have season year around.  Down here in Texas both hog and rabbit season is open year around.  If you can get down here, there are boatloads of places offering day hog hunts, some will allow stalking and nearly all include lodging in the price.  Nothing like honing your skills on a real hunt...Just a thought.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:19:49 pm »
Spend more time standing still than moving, and use trees and bushes to your advantage. If you're doing it right, you should be able to get really close to squirrels.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:42 am »
make sure you stagger your footsteps. lots of things make noise in the woods, but few make noise "In rhythm " when walking.  i find 3-4 steps, stop, look listen, wait.....wait some more, repeat works good. I often "bust" squirrels walking in to my ambush spots. I also try to use rocks and logs as bridges over the leaves and adjust my route to utilize them
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »
The more time you spend actually in the woods the better...go slow. I mean real slow when stalking.... If it ain't worth crawling for don't bother....songbirds are good practice, try to catch one with your hand....get in the woods at night without a light , it is a whole 'nother world.

Lane

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:45:07 pm »
If you have woodchucks where you live,try an stalk them into bow range, If you think your going slow then ya better slow down, Don,t underestimate a woodchucks scenting abilitys, especiaaly an ole survivor, after a summer of stalking these deer will be a lot easier. ;D ;DBob

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:36:48 am »
thanks everyone  started using the tips and there all helping

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:34 am »
Good post guys. There are lots of ideas I never thought of. I'm planning to go hunting for the first time this fall. ;D
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:25 pm »
autmnbear, love that HAGGARD qoute ya got there  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 04:35:45 pm »
Sailordad, I thank you kindly! Haggard out to run for President. Maybe Willie Nelson could run the DEA and Billy Joe Shaver would make a fine VP!! ;D
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!