Author Topic: Too Late?  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Wasatchhawk

Too Late?
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:47:58 pm »
Is it too late to gather Red Osier shoots?  I found a couple posts on here saying they collect in the winter. I might be able to still find them at 10,000 to 12,000 foot elevation.  I was at 8,000 last week and they were starting to leaf out.

Randy
A Family that Preys together stays together!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Too Late?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:53:14 pm »
Randy, Cut some and see. Leave the bark on for sure until they are dry. They will probably check if you peel them too soon. I have collected sourwood shoots during each season and they were fine. Some shoots like viburnum will probably check if cut now.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:40:12 pm »
I've cut shoots summer, winter, spring and fall. Like Pat said, if you cut 'em now, just leave the bark on for a few weeks.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 11:53:13 pm »
             Yup like Hillbilly said:"Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring " :D.........bob

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:05:42 am »
Thanks that gives me hope,  The place I was going hiking this week has big patches.  I'll get several things done at once.

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 02:13:13 am »
What about Rose Cane?  is it too late for rose cane?

The other day when I read about making arrows out of rose canes I thought "Finally! something usefull to do with Rose canes"  I get torn up a lot while hiking "off trail". Even on trail... my index finger still stings from a rose thorn I grabbed onto for leverage two weeks ago.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:54:26 am »
For rose I would definitely wait until winter. It will check badly if it is too wet when cut.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC