Author Topic: perry refex question?  (Read 6429 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
perry refex question?
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »
Hi all, I've been re-reading through the perry reflex section in the TBB, and ended up a bit confused. Can any one tell me what is the difference between between a perry reflex and just an ordinary glued in reflex? I often glue in some reflex when putting on a backing, was wondering , does that make them a 'perry reflex'???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: perry refex question?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »
Perry reflex is the act of glueing in reflex. Dan Perry, a flight shooter from Utah, popularized the method and uses it when making up his backed flight bows. Pre-bending before glue up I don't consider Perry reflex and I don't consider using this method on glass lam bows as Perry reflex either. In wood bows it changes the neutral plane of the bow plus lessens the compression and tension stresses in the wood components of a drawn bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »
looks like I've been making perry reflex bows without realizing!!!  I think I learned it off the PA forum a few years ago, I thought it was a traditional old method though, havent the Chinese and and various others been gluing in reflex for thousands of years? What about the Northern two wood static recurves that used reaction woods, I thought they glued in reflex? Not trying to rob Dan Perry of his credit, just trying to understand things, many things get re-invented, doesnt take the credit off the new inventor
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »
I'm sure this method has been around for centuries but after Dan described his method for building world class flight bows folks started calling it Perry Reflex. Dan would probably be the first to tell you it wasn't his brainstorm.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:28:41 pm »
well I guess I picked it up off the PA without realizing this was the perry reflexing process, I kind of skipped over that chapter  n the TBB without giving it full attention the first time around. Thanks to Dan it resurfaced  otherwise I  for one probably wouldnt be making them now and they are a GOOD design. I also dont know for 100% sure its been done before so maybe he did invent it. I use epoxy to do it I wonder how much reflex you could get in with hide glue?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:32:02 pm »
IMO, much more than about 3" to 4" of Perry reflex becomes self defeating. You end up loosing more reflex due to over stressing.

Lombard

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 09:45:47 pm »
Dragonman, I've sent you a PM with a link to a discussion where Dan answers quite a few questions regarding reflexing.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:48 pm »
Thanks Lombard, thats very interesting, It appears there is a lot more to the art of reflexing than it first seems, TBB didnt really explain it clearly (in my opinion anyway). I think there are a lot of bowyers out there who dont understand this stuff that Dan is talking about here, but they are important bow making principles...( for laminate bows)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 07:12:48 pm »
Lombard, will you send me a copy of Dan Perry's explanation?

Offline Frode

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 08:51:50 pm »
Lombard,
I wouldn't mind that info, too, if you don't mind.  I've tried it a couple of times, but it's been kind of "by guess and by gosh".
Thanks for asking about this, dragonman, I was curious, too!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:55:06 pm »
Lombard, I would like a copy of Dan Perry's description of his reflex.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:40 pm »
You're welcome Dragonman. Pat, Frode, and Hedgeapple PM has been sent.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 09:39:12 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing his explanation either if you don't mind sending it to me as well Lombard.
Travis

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 10:06:25 pm »
Might want to ask a Mod or Admin if we can just post that link in one of the archive sections?  Maybe?  I know we link to TG now and then.
Nate Danforth

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »
Ya, a pinned article would save alot of trouble, but if it isn't too much to ask Lombard, could I also get that info?
I'm planning on a pretty severe reflexed bow soon and would appreciate the knowledge.
Thanks