Author Topic: perry refex question?  (Read 6428 times)

Lombard

Re: perry refex question?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 11:37:54 pm »
Barrage, & Easternarcher info has been PMed.

Nate, fine suggestion. Pat B. has the link. If he thinks it relevant and not a violation of rules, he may do just that.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:16:43 am »
I'll check it out and see what we can do.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 05:30:54 am »
Hmmm, I'm willing to be unpopular for this view, but to be the name 'Perry Reflex' just adds confusion.
Like when we started calling 'Cycles per second' 'Hertz'.
When did this term come in and who coined it?
I'm sure people have been laminating onto reflexed formers for a very long time.
I'm not trying to downplay anyone's contribution to our knowledge base, but to me the term seems to be having the opposite effect as it is no longer actually descriptive.
Surley Asiatic composite bows are made with the use of reflex formers? Maybe 'Genghis reflex' might be more appropriate? :o
Del
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:31:43 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NTD

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13:09 am »
You are beating a long dead horse Del ::)
Nate Danforth

Lombard

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 11:11:24 am »
Del, Dan didn't invent reflexing, and will tell you that. What he did do was use the concept expertly, and was able to figure out what is happening structurally and mechanically in the design, and explain it in a coherent manner. To this wit Perry Reflex kinda just grew out of that, foisted on him by others.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 11:21:13 am »
Lombard, could you PM the link to me too?  Please  O:)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 11:26:44 am »
Del, Dan didn't invent reflexing, and will tell you that. What he did do was use the concept expertly, and was able to figure out what is happening structurally and mechanically in the design, and explain it in a coherent manner. To this wit Perry Reflex kinda just grew out of that, foisted on him by others.
Thanks for that...I just wish they'd stop foisting, it adds nothing to the understanding of our art.
I'd have thought the term might be a bit of an embarasment to him?

@NTD :_ Sorry I didn't know the horse was deceased, I for one shall abstain from using the term (no dissrespect intended of course, I just like plain language)

Maybe I'll start quoting draw weight in 'cat power' like the old horse power but based on Felis Domesticus ::)... Anyone who has tried to give a cat a bath will have some idea of the magnitude of unit ;D.
Del

Lombard

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 11:55:18 am »
You didn't know Del? If you hold a cats head under water until they lay still, they wash up rather well. >:D

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 01:11:00 pm »
You didn't know Del? If you hold a cats head under water until they lay still, they wash up rather well. >:D
I'll tell Mrs Cat of you, then you'll be sorry :o

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 01:59:32 pm »
     Tim Baker is actually the one who named the tecnique after Dan Perry. Dan had success using this tecnique in flight shooting and to the best of everyone's knowledge was the first one to attempt an explanation of how and why it worked. Naming tecniques after individuals who made something popular or otherwise had an impact on it's use is a common place procedure. I think Dan earned it.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 05:01:14 pm »
I agree with Badger, maybe Dan wasnt the first to reflex a bow but his timely reintroduction along with an explanation did help a lot of people to make better bows.( myself included) It is one thing to do something but another to it with the understanding of what you are doing and why. This is what pushes the frontiers forwards. I just wanted to understand, and to be honest even after reading the explanation I dont grasp all the physics but I do understand enough for my level of bow making- I think!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 05:42:59 pm »
Dragonman, like you I don't understand the physics but that doesn't really matter. I don't have to completely understand for it to work. I'd be totally lost in life if I had to understand everything about it first before I could enjoy it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »
you're right Pat, that was some interesting stuff there, but a lot of the technicalities go over my head.  I do think some of the principles regarding reflex are the key to makng better laminate bows, but how complex it needs to get for the average bowyer to benefit. I 'm not sure. It's not good to comlicate things too much , I like to keep it simpe (relatively)

Dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 07:10:59 pm »
There are engineers and there are the rest of us!  ;)  Thank goodness for engineers but I'm glad I ain't one.  ::)

I have "sticky"ed the Leatherwall thread at the top of this page. Lots of good info and hopefully will help to explain the Perry reflex phenomena.
 Dan used to come on PA a few years back. I can't remember if that was before the big shake up here on PA but a search might reveal more of Dan's thoughts on the subject.  If it was before the change, most of that stuff was lost to cyber space.