Author Topic: trade in progress  (Read 1946 times)

Offline DEllis

trade in progress
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:36 pm »
I much prefer to cut my own wood if at all possible, but.....I need a stave to work on in the meanwhile. I would like something good in low humididty. Vine maple, hickory, maybe elm or hop hornbeam. Looking to get 70# at 26 inch draw.....and don't mind a few side to side wiggles(prefer them actually) or a high crown(as from a small tree).
I have a half pound of hide glue and almost a pound an a half of sinews(dry) some of them shredded to use. All deer leg sinew that I cut and dried myself. Also I have two hickory backing strips and a bamboo backing strip.....all around 6 feet long which I bought from 3 rivers and haven't used. I don't feel like messing with backing. ::)
Darcy :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:35:49 pm by DEllis »
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Re: like to get a stave
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:57:04 pm »
I am in the same boat DEllis, its can be very difficult to find staves when your new.  I have had to double my efforts to find "staves" although my lastest find is not a stave really.  its  a large chunk of ash lumber (2.5 by 6 by 8 ft).  I got it from the local lumber mill for $26.  there are several board bows in it, and its large enough i could make 2 or 3 bows by chasing rings.  As well it had a slightly high moisture content so i am still having to wait for drying wood.
Sorry this isnt a reply offering you a trade, (unless you want some ash :P )  Jus another newbie sharin some experiences :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline DEllis

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:04:20 am »
Thanks for the reply anyway. :)
I'm not so much new to this but just starting again after a long break........I've probably built close to 50 bows, but I am right out of bow wood that is ready to go. I do have a nice juniper stave but it needs some more drying time. Plus it is so easy to bend I'd need about 2inch thick and 4 inches wide to get 70# out of it. :o ;D
I suppose I could offer to trade a knife but the only one I have ready to go is a elk antler bowie with engraving........would need a few staves for that. here'r a couple pics. I have been carrying this blade for a couple years so it has some patina and a few scuffs on the blade now but still many good years left in it. I built it in 2008. I can email current pics if anyone is interested.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:06:47 pm »
I could send you a piece of osage but it was cut in Feb of last year and may need to spend some time
in the house at bow size for a while before you finish it.  I am interested in the hickory strips and maybe a few
pieces of the dry sinew.

I might could find a completely dry piece of osage depending on what size you wanted.

thanks Jamie Boyd