Author Topic: im new, what type of stuff to trade  (Read 4604 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
im new, what type of stuff to trade
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:09:34 am »
im not that firmiliar to what people would trade for an Osage stave, if anyone has any example, please let me know
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Cacatch

Re: im new, what type of stuff to trade
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:19:41 pm »
Well, people tend to place high values on osage staves, for 2 reasons. 1, osage is premium bow wood and if the stave is high quality, even more. 2, because there is some weight and size that increase the shipping costs. So they will be expecting something of equal value given the value of the stave plus the shipping costs incurred. If you are looking for one, you'll just have to post on the Trading Post board and ask who has any and what they would like for it.

CP

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:41:22 pm »
i mean like what type of items do people like, i know different people value things diferently

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:48:57 pm »
Hi,  Just take a look at some of the past trades.  There are some rules posted that prohibit cash, but otherwise anything goes, as long as both traders are happy with the results.    Raw materials and handmade items are usually well accepted.   Most items are obviously related to archery, but many folks on the forum hunt with firearms, or attend black powder rendezvous etc.  
Fishfinder, do you have a related skill or hobby?  ie. Handmade instruments (drums, flutes, etc.) metal working ( knives and arrowheads) beading, quilling or basketwork skills? 
 Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:10:51 pm »
 This will give you an idea on shipping osage. I just mailed a stave from Florida to Las Vegas, Priority Mail for $45. :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 02:41:28 pm »
How big was the stave that you shipped Mullet?  I just shipped one to Canada for less than that.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 03:52:34 pm »
thanks for the ideas, i have some skills i could make stuff with, any chance people here also like fishing

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:55:01 pm »
When you start shipping staves exspect 20.00 dollars or more using Parcel Post. When you get into priority the price for shipping goes up. It is tough to trade for a stave when alone the shipping is that much. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 04:44:44 pm »
 osage outlaw, it was 72".
Lakeland, Florida

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:46:17 pm »
osage outlaw, it was 72".

How deep and wide?   Just trying to get an idea.  The one I shipped was about 2" wide and I thinned the limbs down to about an inch or so.  66" long too.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:04:47 pm »
The post office charges a premium when the length plus the girth exceed 108" for priority mail.  The limit is lower for parcel post.  I just sent a stave priority mail to Tucson in a 4"x4"x72" box for about $23.  Parcel post would have cost about $17 and the time estimate was 14 days.  UPS has a higher limit for charging the premium, but their shipping cost is generally higher as well, in the $30 range if I remember right.  Don't use one of those packing places to ship staves, they'll use huge boxes, charge a stiff packing fee and pass the premium on to you as well.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 12:10:38 am »
 I wrap my staves in shrink wrap and label and ship. Also, depending where it is going, the difference in Priority and Parcel are minimal and it will get there quicker.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 12:14:17 am »
 Fishfinder, I love to fish. I live in the Largemouth Bass capital of the world. Google, Lake Kissimmee, Lake Toho, and Polk County Fl. And I like to trade.
Lakeland, Florida

JustinNC

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 12:49:23 pm »
Fishfinder, I love to fish. I live in the Largemouth Bass capital of the world. Google, Lake Kissimmee, Lake Toho, and Polk County Fl. And I like to trade.

and I quote from another member of another forum....reminds me of mullet and Nugget........

"I get the itch to trade so bad sometimes, Id trade for a pile of brush as long as they threw a match in to burn it with..." ;D

I've seen some trades on here that surprise me, and truely one mans trash is another mans treasure

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 01:27:01 pm »
There you have it fishfinder.   If you want an osage stave you just have to offer something that equivilent to the time it takes to find and cut and season the stave, plus the shipping charges.  That still leaves a lot of latitude and some will value their time more than others.  Speaking for myself, a certain amount of creativity and effort is appreciated.  I don't know, do striped bass skins look good on a bow?  Do you make custom fishing rods?  etc.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers