Author Topic: Cherry Bark Backing Build Along  (Read 26585 times)

330bull

Cherry Bark Backing Build Along
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:04:06 am »
Ok Folks here it is!  All I can say is that this is the first time I have ever attempted this, but I can tell  you I would not change much if anything at all.  The process described and materials used is exactly what I followed and I do not claim to be an expert.

Items correspond with each picture:

1. Items Needed:
- Tree Bark
- 60, 120 & 180 Grit Sandpaper
- Cherry Bark, dried ~7 days
- Utility Knife
- Pocket Knife
- Scotch Brite
- Scotch 3M masking tape
- Generic rope @ lest 1/4" thick, 48" or so
- Bicycle inner tube
- Scissors
- Tape Measure
- Titebond II
- Sharpie Pen (not pictured)

2. Prep Bow Backing with 60 grit to increase glue adhesion

3. Trace Outline of bow onto bark back using Sharpie

4. See Finished Outline

5. Cut Outline with Scissors (utility knife can work too)

6. Match the cut bark backing to the bow's back

Go to my next reply...

[attachment deleted by admin]

330bull

Re: Cherry Bark Backing Build Along
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:10:51 am »
Step 7:  Cut an open 45 degree edge on the end of the bark backing that will have another mating piece (this assumes you do not have a full length piece)

Step 8:  Place Titebond II onto the bow's back

Step 9:  Spread with finger

Step 10: Spread Titebond II onto the bark backing (key point here:  The side of the bark backing that is attached to the bow's back is the INTERNAL side of the bark.  The EXTERNAL part of the bark is what faces outside)

Step11: Use the masking tape to backing to the bow

Step 12:  Tape the backing ~ every 2-3" along the backing to the bow

330bull

Cherry Bark Backing Build Along - Part 2
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:25:17 am »
Hello - For some reason I was not able to add a 3rd posting, so I'll follow up with the global moderators to ask why.  Sorry for chopping this up.

Step 13: Apply the rope across the entire surface.  Once again, tape this rope every 2-3 inches along the entire backing application.  This is used to applying pressure to force the bark backing onto the bow's back and ensure 100% contact.

Step 14: Once complete with attaching the rope, apply the inner tubing and make sure to stretch the tubing on every wrap.  No need to stretch the tube out a lot, just enough to apply pressure onto the rope.  Expect to see some glue squirt out in between the bark and the backing.  NO worries, it comes off pretty easily.

Step 15: Tie off the excess rope and inner tubing after completely wrapping the bark onto the bow's back.

Step 16:  Finished picture of the wrapped limb section.  Allow 4-6 hours for drying.  The longer the better but I found 4-6 hours to be fine.

Step 17: Finished picture of the backing after all of the tubing, rope & masking tape has been removed.  Notice the excess glue.  This may be wet enough to wipe off.  If too dry, it should easily sand off.

Step 18: Search for excess backing hanging off the side of the bow's back

See next reply for additional steps...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 02:44:57 am by 330bull »

330bull

Re: Cherry Bark Build Along - Part 2
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:46:11 am »
Step 19: Use a utility knife or sharp pocket knife to cut off any excess bark backing.  Be careful to not cut into the bow or to cut a line that goes directly into the back.  This can be tricky since the backing actually does have "grain".  After the excess edges have been removed, take the 120 grit sand paper and sand the mating edges where the bow and bark backing meet.  Eventually increase the quality of the sand paper to get the desired finish you want on the bow.  Make sure you have removed any sharp edges where the backing ends.  This will be helpful in preventing the backing from getting "snagged".  I don't show any picture of the finish sanding process; I figured out this was pretty easy.  See picture #24 for a finished edge.

Step 20:  Finished picture of trimmed up backing

Step 21: Remove exterior bark surface with 60 to 100 grit sand paper (go slow, it comes off easily)

Step 22: Remove bark "hairs" using Scotch Brite (this will NOT remove all of it but don't worry)

Step 23: Picture with "most" of the bigger "hairs" removed

Pic 24:   Avoid taking off too much, or you will hit a translucent surface and lose the purple color.  See the bottom of the middle section.  This picture also demonstrates a great edge finish with a nice transition between the backing and the bow.

After that you are pretty much good to go.  If you have to attach a 2nd piece, repeat the steps but this time, make sure you cut a mating 45 degree angle on the mating piece of backing so the overlap looks and works well.  I plan on placing thread wrapping over that section once I finish the bow.

After you have completely finished out both limbs and are ready for the finish, please go ahead and finish it out how you like.  I really don't care to tell anyone what works better or worse, especially since this is the first tie I have ever done this.

Helpful Hints:
1. Trim the bark backing and AVOID any excess bark hanging over the bow's back.  This will prevent the inner tube from placing pressure on the edge of the backing and "pulling" it away from the bow's face.
2. Make sure the glue is dried.  Don't rush it.  I still think 4-6 hours is plenty of drying time.
3. Don't be too aggressive in sanding off the exposed bark skin.  It come off really easily I promise.
4. Use super glue to adhere loose pieces of the backing back onto the bow, after the inspection once the glue has dried.  Don't be surprised to find a few, but don't be discouraged either.
5. In retrospect, I would recommend applying bark 2-3 days after  being harvested and dried.  The next bow I back will have cherry bark this is still fairly pliable and not dry and "crackly".  I found the really dry bark to be too dry and prone to cracking or breaking.
6. Don't worry about excess hairs; it will lay down after the first couple of coats of Tru Oil or whatever you use for a finish.
7. This is NOT hard.  I am not that savvy and I totally winged this on my own with no one helping me.  All I learned was from the Bowyer's Bible.  I think the details I provided are more than enough to be 100% successful.
8. This is a natural product; expect to find flaws and just deal with it and appreciate your work.  I'm sure you'll be happy!

Good luck and please share your success and learnings with everyone!

Joe Klink

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:52:09 am by 330bull »

Offline AndrewS

Re: Cherry Bark Backing Build Along - Part 2
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 09:09:39 am »
Hey Joe ;)

that's a very fine buildalong!
Very good pics and text.
I think the bow is a beauty :)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 10:46:59 am »
Nice build along Joe, also looks like a nice snaky bow. Is that some osage ya traded for?

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 11:06:50 am »
Great stuff, Joe.  Thanks for posting.  I definitely plan to try that one of these days. 

How about a couple more pics of the finished product?

Also, can anyone chime in about the properties of this kind of backing?  Is it more decorative, like snakeskin, or functional, like sinew?

duffontap

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 12:38:28 pm »
Strunk says Cherry bark is at least as strong as rawhide and tends to add weight to the bow.  Cherry bark shrinks when it gets wet so it can tighten up with a little finish applied. 

Great build-along.  If you hold the rough side over steam for a few seconds you can use a plastic spatula to scrap the rough part off in about one sweep.  This leaves a perfectly smooth surface.  Not that I'd argue with your results!

J. D. Duff

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 02:22:52 pm »

Joe, great build along...thanks for doing it. The bow really looks good!

Couple of questions if I may? Did you score the logs to first remove the bark? Also, if the bark is to dry/brittle, could you soak and rehydrate and start the drying process again until it is right for using? I have some cherry tops from where I just had my lot timbered last week. I'm afraid I may have waited to long to easily remove the bark...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline BryanB

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 03:40:22 pm »
Joe-
Thanks for the build along, it looks great.
I have been considering adding a long strip of cherry bark for decoration purposes.
It's my understanding that if the bark is being added for "backing" or strength purposes that it need to be a circumfrance cut, not a long cut along the trunk.
That is why Strunks bows usually have several wrappings to hide the joints.
Did you find that to be the case?

Bryan

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 08:53:05 pm »
@GregB

Dont panic.
I  got the bark I used from trees that were dead  for several month. Then yo can remove the bark very easily. Frank (medicinwheel) explains in this topic another method: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2269.0.html ;)

@BryanB
If you want to have no wrappings, you need to have a big cherry-tree. For a piece of 30" you need a tree with 11 - 12" diameter. On this big cherry trees the bark often is injured and so you can't use it.

330bull

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 09:12:23 pm »
Bryan B:

If you use a piece of bark that is cut vertically, and then placed lengthwise on the limbs, you will probably have a 99% failure rate.  What I mean by that is because of two things:

1. The bark's grain is actually structured and running around the tree, not vertically.
2. The bark has defects throughout it that I would only compare to "eyes".  These run with the bark's grain too.

If you cut a strip that runs the length of the tree and then transfer them to a limb, both the grain and eye defects will be running perpendicular to the limb.  This is bad and will probably create several separations of the bark. 

Look at Pic #24 and see how the "eyes" run with the limb.  If you placed those 90 degrees, can you see how those defects could easily separate?

Make sense?

Hartung

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 05:09:28 am »
Nice build along. Thanks for showing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 11:47:06 am »
ttt
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 12:51:24 pm »
What kind of cherry is this?  Black cherry (furniture wood, Prunus serotina) or pin cherry (Prunus pennsylvanica)?