Author Topic: ???to chase or not?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

???to chase or not?
« on: January 28, 2011, 12:15:49 am »
For once i have a question. Im looking for a suggestion on what to do about this osage stave. its not very thick at all, it was probably like a 2.5inch sapling and then someone split it, so its got a 1/4" of sapwood on it with realllllllly tight rings and if i was to chase it down i wouldn't have very much wood to work with so i am almost wondering being it kinda like a sapling how would it work to leave the sap wood on it as opposed to chasing it off.  i feel the better option is to chase it down, but their isnt really any room for error.  and ideas?  if i chase it off i will be looking at about a 1" wedge to make a bow out of..lol   what do we think?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ???to chase or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:25:03 am »
That will work fine, Ryan if the sapwood is in good shape. I have made a few osage sapling bows with good results and have another split and dry ready to build. These are 2" diameter suckers.
   Years ago in an old PA magazine there was an article about Limbows. The auther was Dane Snodgrass and it was about the "limbow" that Sonny Iman made. I met Sonny and had seen and heard about his bows. They are great little bows.
  Osage sap wood is as good as almost any whitewood and leaving a little or a lot of sapwood on a bow will still make a good bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:00:34 am »
Pat sent me one of those two inch suckers and I decrowned and sinued it.It still has the sap wood on the edges of the bow. If I get to work this type of stave again I am intrested in decrowing and making a backwards bow, and be able to leave the handle proud.    Ken
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:07:04 am by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:10:02 pm »
Im with little John
I would try a backwards bow !
Maybe Pappy will chime in, He just did one awhile back !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline ohma

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:16:33 pm »
ive left sapwood on osage and another fella i know of does it alot and he makes a fine bow. the ones ive done have worked out well.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 07:21:26 pm »
A buddy of mine made a nice D bow from an osage that I cut several years ago.
It was two or three rings of sapwood and a little heartwood on the belly. He dressed it
up a little with a horsehair tassel on the upper tip.
I was surprised at how little wood it takes to make a hunting weight bow,,, as this bow
wasn't an inch wide and drew 50# or better at 26".
He ended up giving it away........wish he had given it to me   ;)     
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.