Author Topic: using paint pens to sign your bow  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
using paint pens to sign your bow
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »
anybody use metallic paint pens to sign their work?  what's a good finish to put over it to protect it without smearing it?  Thanks for your time.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline macbow

Re: using paint pens to sign your bow
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:33:21 pm »
I use acrylic, so far the pens I've found didn't have a small enough tip. Know they sell them but I'm in the boonies.
I use true oil over the acrylic paint with no trouble. If your using another finish a coating of true oil over the writing might help.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:52:00 pm »
I use paint pens when I sign a bow, I put most of my finish on , usually tru oil, sign it and the 2 coats of waterbase sealer, the toluene in sealer causes the paint to run
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:17 pm »
I use the sharpie paint pen.  I have used tru-oil and the spray spar urethane over it with good results.  Just let it dry first.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:09:54 pm »
maybe it's just the pens I am buying.  I bought two different ones and after signing the bow let the ink dry for a couple of hours and then tried putting tru oil over and it smeared.  Never had a problem using sharpies though.  I just wanted to try the paint pens because where I usually sign the bow I dyed black so the sharpie wont show up there.  I will try with an acrylic based pen tonight and if that doesn't work I guess I could sign the bow in another spot that's lighter with my tried and true sharpie.  Thanks guys.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 04:46:02 pm »
Awesome, thanks Scott I have seen those at our local craft stores before and it is definitely one I havent tried yet.  :)  I will pick one up after work today and give it a shot. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 04:48:46 pm »
 I have a real fine ball point pen in black ink. I write let it dry, then dust it with poly spray. Then I rub TruOil on.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »
I've used the same ones that Scott D shows with no problems.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 05:22:50 pm »
I bet you could get a liner brush#1 or #2 and use some model car paint. I've done that on some of my flutes before and it works well, with all the finishes I put on those. The only reason I suggest this is I've had those pens blob ink everywhere, but I'm a little klutzy sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:46:35 pm by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Lombard

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 05:31:40 pm »
Josh, spar urethane, and even shellac is available in spray form. If you spray the area of your lettering and let it cure, you can then hand finish or rub without risk of obliterating your work.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 05:50:31 pm »
   I 've always used shapies. Just make sure it's dry I've cover it with everything. Can't ever remember it smearing.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 06:51:23 pm »
i use the SHARPIE PAINT PEN
used to use aregular sharpie but that alwasy seemed to smear a little and fade
the sharpie paint pen that i have is filled with and oil based paint and has an extra fine point
i have no problems with smearing when i apply tung oil now,also no issues with fading either
just make sure you let it dry before you put a finish over it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Josh

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:48:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone!   I got something to stick to it finally and I will post my new bow in just a minute... The thread is gonna be called "I'm Baaack!!!  ...With a Red Oak Board Bow".  :)

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 09:32:12 am »
I just talked to Gary Davis at the Kalamazoo show last night about this very subject. He uses an "industrial" Sharpie.It has the word industrial written in red on it. He says you have to order them from office supply stores.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!