Author Topic: String groove?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline snag

String groove?
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:58:28 pm »
I have put string grooves in an osage bow that I needed to get on a short string and start to tiller on the tree. I filed into the back to make the string groove...is that a no-no? If so, how are you suppose to do it? I thought have seen other osage bows where they were done it this way.  Are you suppose to just file them in the sides and around to the belly? Seems like that wouldn't be as secure. If I've damaged the tips I guess I could shorten the bow or do some tip overlays....?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline HickoryBill

Re: String groove?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:04:24 pm »
How deep did you file them? I've done it both ways. Didn't seem to hurt the bows I've built. Osage is pretty hard.If the bow was.. say Eastern red cedar you may have a problem. I had the tips blow off the first ERC bow I built. It was a combination of soft wood and cutting the grooves to deep. Now I put tip overlays on all the softer wood bows I build, ERC maple etc.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:18:54 pm »
Im gonna hafta Dissagree.Fileing grooves  across the back of the bow,will violate the growth ring on the back,and give it a place to separate.It may not happen now,but sooner or later,it will,if used much.
Snag,
the bows you saw,cut across the back,most likely had overlays on em.If it were me,id rasp the ends down,at an angle,toward the belly and take the groove away.then glue overlays on top.Or as you mentioned,you could pike the tips down and start over.

Offline snag

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:10:48 am »
I think you're right Traxx. I don't want to risk a major problem with a tip failure. Osage is tough stuff but I don't want to wonder everytime I draw the string back! Who knows,  it might not even make it through the tillering process.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 12:29:58 am »
Better to be safe than sorry!!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 01:36:47 am »
There are buildalongs on my site which include cutting the nocks. None of them will show cutting the back of the stave. :) Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:35:20 am »
Yep, Tip Overlays would be good now. ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:27:23 am »
    When I get to tillering the bow I'll cut my string nocks ith the groves in the back  just like it's a finished except the sanding. Tips are non working you leave them stiff anyway at least I do.So I DON'T SEE WHERE IT WOULD MATTER. If your tips bend right up to the nock then it has a chance of a splinter up.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:56:57 am »
I was at a shoot when a friend's osage ow broke at the nock. He cut across the back of the nock. Overlays  are a good fix.  They can be of a hardwood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 05:24:06 pm »
Thanks George. Your site helped.