Author Topic: Osage splitting weirdness  (Read 2080 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Osage splitting weirdness
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »
I've split a lot of osage, but this is the first time I've had a small log split into thirds like this one did.  I started like normal, and instead of the split going clear through the log it broke into thirds instantly.  I went ahead and headed down the log and the wedges would go in so far and then stop solid.  When the split reached a large limb it stopped dead.  2 more times I went to the end and split and both times they did the same thing.  Dangdest thing I've seen splitting bow wood. ???  I guess tomorrow I'm going to chain saw off the other end at billet length and try to get those 3 splits to finish.  This was a 9' log.  The 3 pulled apart like they were under tension in the tree.  Maybe they'll have some reflex?

George

St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Osage splitting weirdness
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:02:21 pm »
George: Sometimes I wish some of my logs had split like that but not stall in the middle ;D. Good luck with the billets..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:53:59 am »
Trees eh? Doncha just love 'em?  ;D
At least it split straight... a couple of time I'd have loved to be able to split in 3 on smallish logs, maybe if I made a special weird wedge by welding 3 axe heads together ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:16:10 am »
Yes, wood sure seems to do what it wants.  If I can't get long splits clear enough to work on these I think there's enough width to split again and sister a spliced stave out of each of those 3.  It was interesting how that post was clear at the base up to about 4' and then had branches like crazy.  I like splitting wood, you just never know what you'll find. ;D  It sure does tire out an old man though. ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:57:37 pm »
There was a guy on here a couple of years ago that had made a three bladed wedge that split the logs into thirds instead of halves and then quarters. It was pretty slick. I think the need to do that would be dictated by the size of the log to be split. Probabley be better on smaller diameter stuff that you wanted to maximize the number of usable splits you can get out of it. I am not real tech savy so I don't know how to find archived posts but if someone does I bet they can find it and post it for review.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 04:53:53 pm »
That's really interesting.  I often have trouble starting a single wedge in the end.  I wonder how hard that one would be to start?

I did go out and cut off 41" from the other end of this log, then finish the splits.  They don't look too bad.   I noticed how much the one's I split earlier in the week had darkened so I put one of them next to the newly split staves.  They are 69" long.  I also split the billet piece in half and interestingly it split completely normally.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 05:06:16 pm »
From where I sit the coloration looks like that should be some nice dense Osage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »
It was heavy, that's for sure.  It looks good to me too.  Too bad I have to wait a year now.  But, there's lots of wood on the pile to play with.  Need to get the bark off and seal the back before the borers get in it.  I hate it that almost all my wood is full of holes.  Never had to worry about that up north, but sure do here.

George
St Paul, TX