Author Topic: Leather arrow pass streaking arrows? (lots of leather ?'s if anybody knows)  (Read 2827 times)

Offline toomanyknots

I've been having my suede arrow passes putting big streaks of whatever they dye the leather with on my arrows lately, was wondering if anybody has ever had the same thing happen. Most likely just because the leather is black. I think it's just the cheap leather I buy to use for the passes. I usually buy one of those suede belt blanks at craft stores because it's the perfect thickness size and softness. Was wondering if anybody uses the smooth side of a smooth leather for the pass? I know there are like 3 different kinds of leather regarding how they are dyed, I think, (???)  is there one type that would be less likely to put dye streaks on arrows? And also, my knowledgeable friends, is cowhide just undyed leather? Like this cowhide:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Leather-Belts-Leather-Straps/4523-190.aspx?feature=Product_3

I saw those last time I went to tandys, didn't really look at em. Was thinking of using it.   
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
You could impregnate the leather with crazy glue.  I'm guessing that would seal in the dye, and make the pass last longer too.  That's what I've been doing

Offline HickoryBill

Stop building bows that shoot mach2 and your rest wont stain your arrows! Just joking. But seriously,could you show pics of your arrow rest/pass?that might provide a clue.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline toomanyknots

"You could impregnate the leather with crazy glue. "

Aye thats a really good idea. Wouldn't of thought to do something like that.

"Stop building bows that shoot mach2 "

Ha, yeah I wish.  ;D

"But seriously,could you show pics of your arrow rest/pass?that might provide a clue."

Very narrow handle, so it can't be that. Gotta be the leather.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I'd say your arrows are a bit stiff. With properly spined arrows the shaft shouldn't touch any part of the bow once the arrow is released. It should clear the bow completely.
  Super glue will seal it but make it stiff and defeat the purpose for the plate all together.
 With the cord wrap you shouldn't need any other material at the arrow pass. Have you tried it with the cord only under your hand and the strike plate directly on the bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

"I'd say your arrows are a bit stiff. With properly spined arrows the shaft shouldn't touch any part of the bow once the arrow is released. It should clear the bow completely.
  Super glue will seal it but make it stiff and defeat the purpose for the plate all together.
 With the cord wrap you shouldn't need any other material at the arrow pass. Have you tried it with the cord only under your hand and the strike plate directly on the bow?"

I recon you might be right about the stiff arrow. I wouldn't know as I haven't ever had a arrow spinner or used one, just spine by hand and how stiff they feel to me. I actually like my arrows pretty stiff. It's a cotton cord wrap and it wears down a bit without a arrow pass but not to much. But stains the arrows too I think.