Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 21120 times)

Broken Arrow

Feathers
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:30:55 pm »
I was wondering if chicken feathers make good fletching?  I would think they would work.  What about duck or goose?  Would the duck feathers fly better?  I just bought some chickens for eggs and meat, and I wanted a source for fletchings.

Offline DanaM

Re: Feathers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:52:47 pm »
Goose fer sure others I have no idea

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Lloyd

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:14:42 pm »
Goose is great. I've heard some people say they've used duck but I never have. Duck is reputed to be good for flight shooting but the same sources say that duck feathers are good for only a couple of shots. Personally I prefer peacock to goose.

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:58:21 am »
I have heard mention of using duck, chicken, grouse, and even crow feathers for fletching arrows, but I have never used any of these myself.  My experience is limited to Turkey, Goose, and Peacock, the Goose being my favorite.  The primary flight feathers from these larger birds make the best fletchings.  Feathers from smaller birds will work, but will tend to be significantly less durable.  Even the secondary flight feathers of the larger birds tend to be a little on the fragile side.  I have used wild turkey secondaries to fletch flu-flu arrows, and they wear out very quickly!  Best use for secondaries. as well as the feathers of smaller birds, is for kids arrows.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 02:04:38 am »
With the smaller feathers you can lay 3 or 4 full length feathers along the shaft(one on each of 3 or 4 sides), with the outside of the feathers against the shaft. I have a few primitive arrows made by different people done this way.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 08:06:57 am »
Pat, if you care to, bring your arrow boxs to Hickory. Might be nice to display them. No touchey,
 >:( only lookey,  8)  unless you are there.

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:53:51 am »
I had planned on it Dick.  ;D Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:01:21 am »
dave ive used chicken with success.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 12:43:23 pm »
Pat, maybe you should post some pictures of those arrows.  You know the rules around here. WE WANT PICTURES!  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 04:13:51 pm »
Justin, I will try to remember to when I get home. ;)   Pat

Broken Arrow

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 05:10:27 pm »
Awesome.  Thanks guys.  I just thought if I had some chickens, I would have a steady supply of feathers.  I thought about getting turkeys or ducks, but they were 5.99 a peice as apposed to 1.99.  Next year, I might get a few but for now I'll stick to chickens.
How do you guys get peacock feathers?  You farm them?   Do the feathers look good on the arrow?  Are they radiant like the tails?
Sorry for the child-like questioning, but Im new at this and have a ton of questions.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 06:15:24 pm »
Sorry for the child-like questioning, but I'm new at this and have a ton of questions.
We are all like little kids with toys when it comes to our bows.  ;)  Peacock wings are just grey.  I actually have some white peacocks, but the feathers look like white turkey feathers.  I have seen arrows at the museums that were fletched with woodpecker. They were only about 3/8" tall. So I imagine you are only limited by your creativity.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 07:07:13 pm »
Almost any kind of feather can be used as a fletching, and even things that aren't feathers! I've perosnally used crow and cardinal feathers before. I even got a few nice flying arrows with a thin peice of birch bark uesd in the seminole one fletch method. Worked great out to twenty yards. Tear all to heck if the hit the dirt, but work nicley if you don't miss too much ;D!

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 07:07:45 pm »
   Peacocks roam free in my neighborhood. Not only are feathers good fer arras but, ahem-they taste like chicken ;D......bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 12:58:56 am »
Here are a few of the 2 fletch arrows I have. The one with the large arrow head was made by James Parker. I don't remember who made the other.  I've seen James make arrows from dog fennel stems and fletch them with pine needles. All you are doing is slowing the aft end of the shaft so it will fly straight.    Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]