Author Topic: Osage bow makes meat!  (Read 24986 times)

Offline Scrub_buck

Osage bow makes meat!
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »
With only two days left in the AL deer season I get my first selfbow kill!  I actually finihsed this bow Wed and on its second hunt (Sat) we make meat!

65"NTN, #50@28" new osage selfbow.  Made a good shot and he was down within 50 yards. 

This experience has left me nearly speechless!  Bringing down big game with a bow I made is an experience I'll never forget!

Sandy

Offline lowell

Re: Osage bow makes meat!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:24 am »
Very nice!!!  Congrats on the kill and with your equipment to take it!! :)

My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline BamaHunter01

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »
Great job man, theres no other feeling like it. I hope you get many more!

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:19:26 pm »
Nice job Scrub. I'm sure it feels great! I've got just 7 days left. Thanks for the inspiration.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:11:18 pm »
 Hey ! You've gone full circle. Congratulations. A "Real" accomplishment.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:37:39 am »
Congrats,nice deer and bow also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 12:58:51 pm »
I had missed a deer from the same stand a week earlier and knew it was on a travel cooridore.   About 30 minutes before dark, I heard the perverbial twig snap back hard to my 4:00 position.  A few minutes later 6 deer came slipping through the pines out in front of me into the hardwood flat.  The lead doe was looking for me up in the trees (it was the same group that I had shot into the week prior) and almost circled in front of me at about 20 yards.  The other deer were in tow and didn't seem so nervous. 

Mamma doe had came nearly all the way around in front of me to my 9:00 position before she finally spotted me.  In the time it took for her to recognize that indeed I was what had shot at them last time from the tree, the other deer had filtered around right in front of me.  The mamma doe finally ran off, carrying the other larger does with her out to about 30 yard before stopping.  The two little deer right in front didn't run immediately and looked a little confused as to what they needed to do.  They pranced around in place for a few seconds and one fianlly got into the open at a little under 20 yards.  He was quartering to me just a little and I knew it was time to shoot... before they ran as well.  I picked a spot right on his shoulder and hit anchor and let it fly. 

The arrow flew true and hit the deer where I was looking and as it spun to leave the douglas fir arrow snapped off.  They all ran out of the hardwood the same way, and in 10 seconds or so I heard the button buck crash.  After a short 15 minute wait, I was down and surveying what was left of my arrow.  About 10 inches of shaft was missing and I knew the arrow had made it through the shoulder area into the vitals.  I carefully followed their escape route and I easily found my deer there laying in there in the leaves.  He went maybe 50 yards.  Upon inspection, the Zwickey broadhead easily sliced through the upper shoulder area and nearly made it all the way through the vitals. 

I was totally impressed with the power at which that osage bow launched the arrow.  A 'quartering to' shot is not necessarily the best scenario, but my selfbow easily powered it through the heavily muscled area and actually went through some of the shoulder bone as well into the vitals!     
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:19:35 pm by Scrub_buck »

Offline Postman

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »
Way to go -  congrats on the nice shot and clean kill!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline DEllis

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 07:22:50 pm »
Nice! :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:26 pm »
Congratulations Sandy.You did good. Those deer taken with self gear taste better too. ;) God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

tyler holley

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 11:48:44 pm »
cool 8)

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 04:43:27 pm »
Excellent.  Way to go.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 03:26:20 am »
To be honest, nothing gets me going like a 1-3 year old doe.  Antlers are nice and all but I cut them up anyway for "stuff".  I see a deer like that walking across a field and my mind overlays a butchers chart.  BTW deer tongue is great eating and the heart makes a nice roloude.

Offline Kolton

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:04:20 am »
Great Job

God Bless, Kolton
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL