Author Topic: Another use for maple - PIC HEAVY!  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Another use for maple - PIC HEAVY!
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:15:56 pm »
This has nothing to do with primitive archery, but I was bored and figured I'd show a few pictures of some other woodworking I've done.  I figured there's probably a few guitar players on the forum who might be interested, so here's some pictures of a guitar I made about 5 years ago.  It's a baritone with an SG inspired body and a BC Rich inspired headstock.  Shaping the back of the neck was a lot like tillering a bow! Enjoy!

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: Another use for maple - PIC HEAVY!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:23:10 pm »
   Sweet!!!!!  I can't  play,,  but  what  would  the  first  song  be  from  a  rod  like  that????  all  I  can  hear  is  "  Black  magic  woman"    from  C. Santana   JEFFW

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:42:16 pm »
I've been playing guitar since freshman year in high school back in 2003...love all guitars

I have wanted to build a guitar for the past couple years...just don't know how to get my feet wet in it.

Where did you get your information on neck length/fret board and supplies?

I'd love to rock out on a guitar made by my hands.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
Aznboi - I had a really good book, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.  You can find a lot of info online on different forums.  One I went to often was Project Guitar http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?act=idx

I remember spending more time researching and planning than I did making the guitar. You'd be suprised at the amount of specific details that have to be worked out before the woodshavings fly!

Jeff, I can't play very well myself.  I tell people I'm more of a guitar enthusiast than a guitar player :)  This was just another one of the hobbies that I totally dove into for a few months, until something else caught my interest.  I tend to do that a lot, but I think I've found a more permanent obsession with bowmaking, because there's a better chance of actually becoming proficient with what I make!  I realized that my brain and hands will never work together fast enough to play blistering, facemelting solos, but none of that is required for making and shooting bows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:11:18 pm »
Very nice guitar, Cameroo. I love to listen to home made music(actually all music). I wish I could play but I will just have to be satisfied listening.  ;D

anzboi, Check out Grizzley Industries. They sell power tools but the owner loves guitars and has everything you need to build one. Also banjos, mandolins, fiddles and accustic and electric guitars.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 07:25:18 pm »
 That is nice. hows it sound?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:05:04 pm »
I think it sounds good, but it would probably sound better with someone else playing it :)  At the time that I made it I was into heavy metal, and designed it for that.  The long scale length (28 inches, compared to a normal guitars 25 or 26) lends itself to down-tuning for some really chunky sounding power chords. It's like a cross between a guitar and a bass.  What really amazed me was the sustain it has, I'm thinking because of the neck-through design.  That solid piece of maple running through the body really resonates!  The sides of the body are basswood by the way.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:46 am »
nice looking guitar its definitely a one trick pony with no tone nobs bet it works great for metal :). a good way to add tone is adjust it on the amp or have ton nobs added to your amp ;)  and yeah the neck through will help with the sustain and the tunomatic also helps since its a set bridge instead of floating :) now a very techy question how was the intonation after it was set up? my neck through took a 5 foot dive off stage on to concrete and it lived :) it was hard to watch a 2K$ guitar fall during a performance i definitely built a better guitar stand after that stupid double fork stand i bought  the guitar strap caught the fork and flipped my stand hence knocking my other guitar off the other side :( well ttyl and thanx for posting :)

sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:45:18 am »
Beautiful work!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

HatchA

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »
Beautiful work, Cam.  Did the experience shun you away from ever making another one or might you be tempted into a possible commission...?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

SkyArrow -  I wouldn't exactly call it a one trick pony - it's amazing what an effects pedal can do!  But with just one humbucker pickup at the bridge, I suposed it is limited in that way.  On my other guitars I never really used the neck pickup.  I never had any aspirations to do live shows, and my playing style never required a volume knob either, so I figured why bother.  The intonation is bang on, due to the careful design :)  You'll notice that the bridge is installed slightly more angled than normal - in order to compensate for the thicker strings on the bottom end (increased string diameter requires a slightly longer scale length to maintain proper intonation).  I think the low E was .075! That's a bass string :)

Hatch - although I enjoyed building it (along with all the learning before even starting), I don't know if I would want to build another one at this point in time.  That was 5 years ago, and a lot of the planning details would have to be re-learned (too much reefer back in the day I guess ;)  Maybe sometime in the future I might get back into it, but I've got too much on the go right now.

I never thought I would say this, but I was recently considering selling this one - I just don't use it enough.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »
very nice wish, I could play, love it. show full draw pictures and are you going to back it hehehehehe.
john 3:16

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 08:57:35 pm »
very nice wish, I could play, love it. show full draw pictures and are you going to back it hehehehehe.

These are the closest I've got to full draw.  >:D The neck was "backed" with cocobolo :)

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 01:16:41 am »
I've had the privilege of holding this geetar, and it's truly an amazing work of art!

HatchA

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »
You saying the fretboard is cocobolo??  Looks beautifully bright.

Am I right in thinking the truss-rod plate is glued ion?  How d'you tweak the neck if/when it warp a little?

Most importantly - if you ever get the urge to make another - gimme a shout, I'm looking for a custom explorer ;)