Author Topic: Another use for maple - PIC HEAVY!  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Another use for maple - PIC HEAVY!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 06:04:37 pm »
the nut on the truss rod is at the headstock end, under that fancy cocobolo plate (Probably looks lighter because it had recently been sanded). It's not shown in the pictures, but theres just a tiny screw holing that cover on. Any adjustment would be made there.  I purposely left the neck a bit chunky because the last thing you would want on a neck-through design would be for it to twist.  With heavy strings there's a surprising amount of tension on the neck!  And you can't just unbolt it and replace it like cheaper, mass-produced bolt-on guitars.  If it ever got really bad, I suppose one would have to remove the fretboard and do some planing, but I'm quite confident it's rock solid.

But ya, if the bug bites again, I'll let you know for sure!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 10:48:42 am »
That is very cool.  Can't say i've seen one cutom made like that and I've been around some professionals over my years.  Really awesome - thanks for sharing those.
1’—>1’

Offline Postman

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 10:11:26 pm »
Sweet axe! Somehow "War Pigs" got into my head reading this thread ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Grunt

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 08:57:20 am »
Eric,Dwayne,Jimi,Albert C.,Albert K.,Johnny L.,Johnny W.,BB, Buddy,and the list goes on and on.

Offline david w.

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 10:24:41 pm »
That is awesome!  I would like to try to make one sometime
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline david w.

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:52 pm »
I am thinking of doing this.  i am not going to start from scratch but here's the kit I'm looking at. http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit--Carved-Top-Hard-Tail-Single-Cut__BYO-CT-HTSC.aspx

What do you think?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 09:29:26 pm »
I am thinking of doing this.  i am not going to start from scratch but here's the kit I'm looking at. http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit--Carved-Top-Hard-Tail-Single-Cut__BYO-CT-HTSC.aspx

What do you think?

That looks like a pretty decent kit for the price.  Mahogany is a great wood for a body, and the flamed maple will look killer after it's stained.  You could even do a burst stain job if you're up for it.  Something like this maybe?  I always planned on finishing mine similar to this one, but still haven't got that far :P

The kit takes a lot of the complicated bits out of the project, like figuring the neck angle, cutting the fret slots, radiusing the fretwire and inserting it, routing the pickup and control cavities.  You should be able to slap that together in no time.  Hopefully you're comfortable with a bit of soldering too, the controls probably won't be wired up.  Depending on how "professional" you are, you might want to consider uprading the pickups, because they seem like a no-name cheapo type, but you can always do that after too if you don't like the way they sound.  If you go ahead with it, make sure you let us know how it turns out.

One more bit of advice - I mentioned it before, but I'll say it again.  There's a really good website that helped me a lot, you might want to check it out just for finishing ideas or help.  Just google "Project Guitar forum".  Those guys have seen and done it all.