Author Topic: Locust Eastern Woodland style  (Read 11287 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Locust Eastern Woodland style
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 08:23:42 am »
Good looking bow Pat,simple and effective.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »
Nice bow Pat. So is there an advantage to single side nocks, are they on the opposite sides of each other, and i've seen some bows with double nock on bottom, single side nock on top, what's the point ???, just curious, thanks for the info, and again, way cool bow.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 12:29:56 pm »
Dave I don't know the purpose or origination of the single side nocks. I have also seen them only on the top limb but also on both limb tips. They are opposite each other so I guess the string always tracks across the handle with side nocks. The point is copying original methods and trying something new.  ;) Some of the English War Bows had single side nocks on them as well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »
Very sweet bow Pat. Really like the stain ob on that, and the nice gradual sweep to the character. Well done.

Cacatch

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »
My kind of bow, Pat. And beautifully tillered.  What material did you use for the string? I like the looks of it too.

CP

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 12:55:28 pm »
CP, that is tan B-50. I like it on primitive looking bows because it looks sorta like a primitive string. At least bland in color.  ;D
  Thanks Keernan. I am happy with this one because it is my first successful locust bow after many years of trying. I guess I must be maturing as a bowyer!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Lombard

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 03:37:15 pm »
Looks like you pulled off another very nice bow Pat.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 08:13:49 pm »
Looks good. I have noticed that the eastern woodland bows usually have quite heavy tips compared to the norm today. How is the hand shock of this bow? I always figgured the EW bows and most longer indian bows in general must have kicked a bit due to the heavier tips but I have not built a replica to test the theory.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 09:58:35 pm »
Nice one Pat. I have'nt worked with BL yet but I am sure some day I will get the chance.
  I wonder on the side knocks if you had a bow with some twist, if cutting a side knock on one side of it might bring the twist around?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline John K

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 10:16:05 pm »
I like it Pat, i'm going to have to try one with some of the BL i have,Simple but affective !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:41 pm »
Like that a lot Pat.  Like the toasted belly left.  Very nice.
1’—>1’

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:06 pm »
Pat, I am not deserving but I thank you. It's a great bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 01:25:20 am »
Darcy, suprisingly they don't have that bad of shock. There is a thump but not uncomfortable. Maybe allowing the entire bow to bend has something to do with it. I don't know.  I was shooting heavy cane arrows(600gr+) in a 40# bow so the arrow absorbed most of the energy so less hand shock.
 George, I have ruined as much locust as you have been successful with. How can I not look up to you!  ;)
Danny, if a bow has twist I like to position the side nocks to help allieviate the twist.
  Thanks everyone. I've only made a few of these simple style bows and have come to love their effectivness as well as their simplicity. There are lots of styles of Eastern Woodland bows and this bow is sort a combo of two; the Cherokee style  and a Sudbury with the narrowed handle area. Fun bows to build and shoot.  8)

Offline NTD

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 01:28:53 am »
Sweet lil bow Pat!
Nate Danforth

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:42 pm »
 As always Pat a fine looking bow. Have never worked locust but would like to give it a try. I have tons on honey locust around here does it work the same as black?
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.