Author Topic: How do I skin and preserve a snake skin ?  (Read 29921 times)

8up

How do I skin and preserve a snake skin ?
« on: May 15, 2007, 07:49:02 pm »
I just killed a 68 1/2" in the yard (uncle now says it a chicken snake) Its now 63" long. How do I skin and preserve it? I want to save it for a future bow.

Thanks, Ron

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: How do I skin and preserve a snake skin ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 08:15:45 pm »
Just split the skin down the belly and peel it off, snakes skin out easily. After you've got it skinned, scrape off any fat or meat on the flesh side reaaly well, then either wrap it really well and freeze it, or tack it down flesh side out on a board and let it dry.Some people salt them, but I don't feel that salting is necessary. Or even better, after you skin and clean it, glue it on the back of that new bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

8up

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 08:33:32 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly, I had thought of putting on the new bow but figure their probably not easy to come by so I better save it. But I could be convinced IF I thought I could get more skins later.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:31:11 pm »
  You will always find more skins,use it.It is easier putting it on green with some glue.A thin skin like a "chicken snake",sounds like a rat snake or corn snake,You have to be carefull about freezing for a long time.The skins are thin and will freezer burn and tear real easy after thawing.For that reason The thin skin snakes, I salt real good and roll them up,salt in ,and put in a baggie.Then you can freeze them but they really will not freeze all the way.When you use them just  rinse real good and then glue.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

8up

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:18:53 am »
I have learned another lesson.  Run your thumb between the skins and the meat down the sides. I did have to pay for this lesson and the cost was ripping the skin about 13" from the head. >:( :( I did skin it the rest of the way out. The rinsed it off and put it in a freezer bag in the fridge. I might still have enough to do the new bow. I guess its time to research how to apply the skin to the new bow and where to get glue.