Author Topic: The day of the jack - I mean reflex  (Read 2029 times)

Offline SiongSA

The day of the jack - I mean reflex
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:30:57 pm »
So guys today i've been busy reflexing as you've probably guessed by now, well i had mixed results. Good news is that one of the ends has reacted nicely to the bending and i'm very pleased with the look and feel. The bad news is the other end just WON't hold reflex, it just bouces straight back to its natural shape after a few pulls? i used actually the same method as on the other tip, whats going? also because of the steam bending the bow is surely very wet? and cause its ash it must hav sucked up the water.

Regards,
Sion

Offline sailordad

Re: The day of the jack - I mean reflex
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:33:16 pm »
are you letting the wood stabilze again before stressing it?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:48:08 pm »
As your bow stands in the tree, which end is not holding? I've found the trunk end of the tree (lower limb)  to be harder to bend but hold quite well compared to the upper limb.........Art

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 01:51:40 pm »
are you letting the wood stabilze again before stressing it?
no because it work with the other end while not stabilizing it, art i can't remember which is the top side...

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »
As I understand it wood usually loses moisture content during steam treatment.  Yeah, that's counter intuitive, but that's what the 'experts' say.  The surface of the wood gets wet, but the interior loses moisture.  Still, as sailordad mentions it is a very good idea to wait a few days before stressing the wood.
The problem is that one end of your bow is weaker than the other.   This may be something inherent in the wood, but it may be that you simply left a little more wood on one end than the other.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »
Another reason could be the tips are too thin to hold the bend when pulled.
Gordon